Author Topic: XS500 Road Racer Build  (Read 113 times)

Offline Vintagetz

• Roswell, GA
XS500 Road Racer Build
« on: November 25, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »
I am building an XS 500 base AHRMA road racer.  It will be based on the later XS motor and a 1978 head.

I picked up the donor bike yesterday, it is a running 1J3 bike I am not positive of the year yet, I need to research to see if it is a 76, 77 or 78.  it is complete and unmolested and running.

Rules require it to have all stock body work/seat including a headlight shell and speedo - tach housing (do not have to use the stock instruments but the housings have to be present.  Cannot use clip-ons.

Can use an standard (non USD) forks up to 41mm tubes, 3.5X17 front and 4.5X17 Rear wheels.

The motor is limited to 470cc's for the class so I will be reducing the bore to meet the displacement limit.  I Intend to run a CDI so will be removing all of the electrical system/alternator, starter and balancer system.  I will have the crank balanced for the custom pistons and balancer removal.  New bumpsticks are in the plan too.

As for the racing parts, I have a nice aluminum swingarm,  a 40mm 1989 TZ250 dual disc front end, Two sets of TZ wheels in the correct size, one is an NOS Factory Yamaha TZ set and the other a Beautiful condition set of Technomagnesio  magnesium 5 spoke set.

I intend to build a stainless 2 into 1 pipe. 

The bike is in very good condition and complete, I will be posting all the stock stuff I don't need in the for sale section, not trying to make a killing, the frame and wheels are powder coated, it has brand new tires.  I am also open to swapping the complete bike or the complete roller for a suitable race bike donor.

Any advice is appreciated.  I will try and post pictures of the build as I get through it.

Offline Vintagetz

• Roswell, GA
Re: XS500 Road Racer Build
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
Based on the VIN it is a 1976 XS500C 

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
Clipons are out??? Hopefully you can use lower bars than those.
Good luck with the build. Looks like a good base.

Offline Vintagetz

• Roswell, GA
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »
Clipons are out??? Hopefully you can use lower bars than those.
Good luck with the build. Looks like a good base.

No clip-ons but can change the bars, I will be running a set of low superbike bend bars.

Still working on the overall design,  Getting some great support.  Concerned about the heat, I am working on a way to run a comprehensive oil cooler system.