Author Topic: Bike wont start  (Read 68 times)

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
Bike wont start
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:46 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I rebuilt the engine on my bike and finalyl have good compression, wired up, but it wont start.

1. I have set valve clearances
2. Timed the bike
3. Have spark

She wont go though, on a side note the electric starter seems to be having some trouble really spinning fast?

it must be a fuel issue right?

Offline steve

Re: Bike wont start
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.   Hope this helps:

Have you tried swapping the spark plug wires?   A TX500 will not run unless the spark plug wires are on the correct spark plugs.

If the spark plug wires are on the correct spark plugs, and you have good spark, and you have good compression, the next logical thing to do is start looking at fuel.   Take out the spark plugs and check to see if fuel is making it to cylinders.   If you have been trying to start the bike recently, there will be unburned fuel on the spark plug tips.   If you do not smell fuel on the spark plug tips, that tells you fuel is not reaching the cylinders.

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:02:32 PM »
Thank you, i think that may be the issue as well and did not know that about the spark plugs.

Question, my kickstart is not working and i have the side cover off right now. The kickstarter will spin the clutch but not the timing part if that makes sense. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Offline steve

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:28 PM »
I suppose you are talking about the starter clutch, but I can't picture what's going on there.   Maybe if you can post some pics or video, one of us could help sort it out.   

Do you have a copy of the repair manual?   It's available here:  http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=267.0