Author Topic: Upper Triple Tree  (Read 2187 times)

Offline WhiteBread16

Upper Triple Tree
« on: November 06, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
I've been thinking lately on getting a set of new handlebars/clip-ons for a quick upgrade for my bike. I have found a couple sets of handle bars that I like, but in the case of clip-ons, I was wondering if anyone had any information on getting a replacement for the upper triple tree? The main reason is because if you do remove the original bars, you're left with those two raised grooves for them. Just wondered if anyone has found a match or replacement from a newer bike. Let me know if anyone has any new finds or what not. Thanks

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
Re: Upper Triple Tree
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »
My first thought is to use the triple tree from an earlier year, the lower half of the bar clamps (raised grooves) are removable. But I think the earlier ones only fit 34mm tubes, while the fixed lower clamp types like yours are only for 35 mm. Somebody confirm this?

My second thought is low cost, but more work. The triple tree is aluminum. Once removed, it would be easy to cut and shape with a hacksaw and files/dremel. Repaint with a spray can of semigloss black and you're done.

My third thought is to use the bolt holes to mount a plate with a temp and/or pressure gauge? Or just a Yammie logo.

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
When I mocked up my clip-ons, I was just going to shave off the top of the upper triple..

.....I ended up using the stock un-modified upper for my home made tach bracket. Functional.... and hides the ugly

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
Dean's solution for the fork crown is clean and simple.

An alternative would be to use the 35mm crown (1T3-23435-01-98) from a 1977>'79 XS650. It should be a bolt up and uses the same instrument mounting tabs as the XS500C-E and I'm pretty sure the tube spacing and offset is identical.

Another rubber damper style bar mount crown you might look at is the '76>'79 RD400. Not sure if the offset is the same as the XS500 under bracket though. It's not hard to get the tube bores in the crown enlarged from 34 to 35mm. There's enough meat in the clamping area that it's not usually a problem. I've done it on a couple of crowns from that era that I needed to enlarge from 35 to 36mm in order to use larger diameter forks.

There's also the flat style 35mm crown used on the 1982-83 XS400J/RJ DOHC models. I think it has the same spacing and offset too but would pull the tubes up an inch or so. That might work better with clip-ons that go under the crown though.

A bare top crown but much harder to find would be the one from a TZ250/350 from '74 to '77 or '78 which are 35mm. I've got one but I'm hanging on to it!

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »
I went out at looked at my old 34mm '74 TX500 tree ( my TX cafe has the later '78 XS 35mm front end ) I'm rebuilding a '76 RD400C with 34mm forks, and the upper is the same offset as the TX 34mm tree

34mm TX top and RD 34mm bottom in photos:

In looking at the XS and TX crowns again, It would be easy enough to shave the bar clamp, sculpt, fill the bolt holes and paint.

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »
Whitbread16 is starting out with the oldest type of front end- TX500 and TX500A had the triple tree with the under bracket shaft end male threaded, single castellated nut and then dome headed nut on top of the crown to secure.

XS500B came out with a slightly different arrangement- the under bracket shaft had a tapped hole instead for a chromed bolt and washer- I think they added another castellated lock nut under the top crown.  It was all meant to make it sturdier but they kept the 34mm forks.  They changed the XS650B the same way.  There was a service bulletin detailing the changes, but although they stated the top crown changed and you could only fit the top and bottom as a set, it seems to be the same part number as the earlier one..

Starting to sound as though we're rebuilding the front of the bike- maybe time to just get the hacksaw and file out.... :)

Deans bracket and tacho look the business!

1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2

Offline WhiteBread16

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »
Hey guys I appreciate all the help. By the way Dean, that's an AWESOME idea, it looks really slick and I like it. Also I did some research/idea planning, and I know this site (Dime City Cycles) and they sell individual LEDs and I've seen some project bikes that use them for Neutral, Turn Signals, and Oil lights. What I'm thinking is possibly making a bracket similar to yours with a speedo as well, and then these LEDs, or just mounting the Speedo and tach else where and making a small bar that goes in between those mounts and making a custom led bracket there. Either way thanks for pointing that out. Also you said you replaced your front arms with 35mm, I noticed that clip-ons vary in size but I didn't find a pair that fit 34mm, so would I have to do the same or do they make them in that size? Thanks again guys, and crouchyuk; that comment at the end "Dean's bracket and tacho look the business." made my day, that's awesome and a cool phrase... :) Thanks for all the help guys...

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »
34mm are very common clip ons. Most of the '70s mid-size two strokes had them and the aftermarket for RD's S1's etc is pretty healthy. Tarozzi and Woodcraft make some really nice 34mm billet clip-ons ( HVC cycle etc )

For the basic steel 34mm's ... they are everywhere... look on google shopping and ebay too...

Offline uglyrabbit

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »
I wanted to bring up this old thread to post what I found about the xs400j triple clamp. It is not the same spacing as the Xs500. The spacing on the xs500 is about 140mm to the inside of the fork tubes and the xs400j is about 150mm.