Author Topic: 76 XS500 Cafe Lite Build - Seat and Clip Ons?  (Read 314 times)

Offline rumorhazard

• Seattle, WA
76 XS500 Cafe Lite Build - Seat and Clip Ons?
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:35:36 AM »
Hello everyone, happy to join the forum! Picked up a 76 XS500C the other day with a couple of good OEM parts, too.

I'm thinking of doing a very lite cafe build. I.e, Firestone Deluxe tires, clip-on handlebars and custom seat. Everything else can stay stock!

I've never built a seat before but I have to get rid of that rear fender. It's the worst looking part on the bike. I'm pretty sure if I try and build a seat it will look very amateur-ish, so I might just get one custom made in the Seattle area. It would be great if they could incorporate the top half of the rear fender.

The thing I am least certain about is the clip-on bars. They seem like they could be a lot more hassle than they are worth. I'm worried that the master cylinder won't fit and that the bars will hit the tank when turned. Does anyone have a definitive guide to this part of the conversion? Or does anyone know any clipons that are tried and tested?

Here's a photo as she stands right now:

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: 76 XS500 Cafe Lite Build - Seat and Clip Ons?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:20:03 AM »
I'm going to rant a bit here. Firestone Deluxe Champion tires are for Harley three wheeled Servicars not for motorcycles that corner on two wheels. If you are just building an art bike to photograph and not to ride then go ahead and use them but put some modern tires in the correct sizes on it if you want to ride it as designed. Clip ons really suck for the street. Unless this is going to be a track day bike a nice low or flat bar will get you up where you can see traffic and control the bike better. Finally, those board flat seats will give you hemorrhoids and premature prostate enlargement. Enjoy.
End of rant.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"