Author Topic: Project complete!  (Read 2181 times)

Offline mreimler

Project complete!
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:43 PM »
I just finished my 1978 XS500E resto. This was the first model motorcycle I owned way back in the day. A big thanks to the forum and members for helping me out with finding the odd pieces and parts.

This started as a "I'll just clean it up and get it running" project but it soon turned into a "take everything apart and paint it" type project. Lots and lots of cleaning, adjusting and tweaking. It was in OK shape when I bought it but it did need more work than I expected. I got a seat pan from Dean and a nice exhaust from Jimmer. Crouchy helped with a cam chain link.

The bike had an XS650 filter rattling around in the filter box but I found the proper filter cage online. I just had to use some aftermarket filter foam to wrap the cage. I live near a bike recycling place so they were a great source of nuts, bolts, grommets and little bits. I even found a decent example of the elusive white grommet for the left side sprocket cover where the alternator wires and clutch cable run.

After I put everything back together and after a little carb tuning, it now runs like new!

All in all it was a very enjoyable project. Now I have to wait until spring to ride it. -17 below zero today.

*Rebuilt the engine
*Stripped and painted anything that was black
*New seat cover
*New fork seals
*New swing arm bushings
*New steering head bearings
*New Tach
*New foot peg rubber
*New wheel bearings

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
Re: Project complete!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:09:54 PM »
Most excellent work Mark !  What a beauty !

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »
I even found a decent example of the elusive white grommet for the left side sprocket cover where the alternator wires and clutch cable run.
Great job, a fine example of the model.  I've been secretly looking for that little white grommet [371-15486-00]... I still don't know whether they were black to start and faded to white? Presuming, the Xs500E has the same grommet as the TX500A.
RegardZ.
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »
Great job, nice bike. I'll get your registry entry changed to Yes but you'll just have to wait on the weather.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »
Fantastic effort and a fine bike!  Nice to see the forum members chipping in to help get another back on the road.

The black US version XS500E really looks great- in Europe we stayed plastic fantastic all the way to the end unfortunately.  If I had the perfect collection it would be the TX500A in Bird Blue, the XS500B in Spanish Burgundy, the European XS500D in Red, and the bike above....
1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2

Offline jimmer

• Administrator
    • Wichita KS./ Asheville N.C. USA
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 01:02:13 AM »
Jesus! That looks fantastic! So nice to see a stock virgin! :P :P :P

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »
Well done! It is nice to see a stock restoration.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline mreimler

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 11:46:17 PM »
And now this sweet, sweet ride is for sale, http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=1881.0