Author Topic: Chain reaction on my rebuild.  (Read 995 times)

Offline Vince

• Alberta, Canada
Chain reaction on my rebuild.
« on: October 30, 2015, 06:10:19 AM »
Well, I finally found time to start my rebuild of a 1978E that I purchased back in March of this year. I knew that the bike sustained engine damage by the previous owner, so I wasn't going blind into this! (A little history on the bike)... In February of 1979, I saw this sweet ride on the showroom floor. The coffin shaped tank and mag wheels grabbed my attention immediately. The salesman informed me that this was the last 500 in their stock, and because it was a "78" model, he would do better on the price. So I had to have her. Little did I know that this was the last year of production for the XS, ......more-so, did he know? Two years later, falling on some hard times, she had to go. Kept her close though, sold it to my brother-in-law. Kneed-less to say, I was a little jealous every time he rode past my place. About a year later, as fate would have it, he was doing some routine maintenance when he decided to change the plugs. The retailer, un-knowingly, sold him 1 wrong plug. Unnoticed, it was installed. Fast forward 33 years, and repeatedly hounding my brother-in-law, he relented, and sold this damaged gem back to me. And now my adventure continues. I posted a few pictures on what happens when a $3.00 part causes over a $1000.00 in repairs. A "chain reaction" occurs as you will see. The missing aluminum was found in the cam bearing, pan and the pump. The tachometer axle snapped when the pump seized. I will post as I progress.