Author Topic: 1977 XS500 with Velorex sidecar  (Read 1211 times)

Offline frode

• Norway
1977 XS500 with Velorex sidecar
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:21:26 PM »
(Dont know if the pictures show, let me know if not.)

Three years ago I for some reason thought it would be a grand idea to attach a suitable sidecar to my stock 1977 XS500.
So I hunted down an unused Velorex sidecar from somebody's abandoned project. It was still in its original packaging, a spanking new 2012 model sidecar.
Turned out it was a nice match for the bike, same color and all.

A few modifications was nevertheless needed to prepare the bike in order for it to get approved by the authorities.
-New tires, wider handlebar, new chain and sprockets with lower gearing, new special ordered rear dampers, rebuild of front forks, steering damper and some custom made parts.
Took me two-three years in all, but it actually got approved in the end. Hardest part was getting the geometry of the wheel correct to make the whole thing
go in an approximately straight line.
I also removed the battery from the bike, and mounted a new larger car battery in the sidecar.

First time I drove it it really scared the s out of me, never driven a bike with sidecar before. Now the bike dont seem quite so lethal to drive anymore,
its actually quite fun. I use it once in a while when I feel like turning some heads.

-Frode

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: 1977 XS500 with Velorex sidecar
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »
That looks like a comfortable rig Frode. Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the photo.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"