Author Topic: Replacing head bearings  (Read 368 times)

Offline Banosmortados

• Oslo, norway
Replacing head bearings
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
Hi

I just replaced the head bearings, followed an old thread here with instructions on how to do it. Seemed to work well. It all fit nicely. Bought bearings from Ebay that was for 76- XS500. I have a 77 model, so that should work.

Problem Im having now is that the new bearings are taller(Im guessing) than the original ones(tossed them when I thought it all fit), because when I place the top clamp on, the stem is not close to flush with the top surface. Resulting in that the bolt on top will only thread about 50%.... Is this a problem? if the new bearings are lets say 2-4mm taller than the original ones, can this cause a problem? It acts really smooth when connected, it all appears to have worked well....

The people I ordered from asked me if maybe I wanted to try a bearing that was 2mm shorter, perhaps this makes sense to try?

Thanks for any reply, this is making me confused. ;)

Offline Jewbacca

• Where the heck is Sequim, WA??
    • Sequim, Washington, US
Re: Replacing head bearings
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:51:32 AM »
It could cause a problem for sure. I would definitely double check your bearing part numbers and be sure they are compatible with the stock bearings. Allballs.com has a conversion list that will give you the exact conversion taper bearing that will fit the stem and be the same height as the original ball bearings.
1974 TX500A
I'm unique, just like everyone else.

Offline Banosmortados

• Oslo, norway
Re: Replacing head bearings
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:48:06 AM »
Thanks!

They did not have the dimensions on the site, but I have sent an email asking. Should be able to figure it out!