Author Topic: Mikuni carbs? Setup help  (Read 291 times)

Offline burntfries36

• roanoke, va, united states
Mikuni carbs? Setup help
« on: June 26, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »
Hello, so I have a 76 xs500 and the thing runs pretty well, only 4000 miles on it, bought it off of a guy who hacked it up for a cafe racer then gave up. Anyway when I bought it the guy had chopped the exhaust so they are short pipes w some "homemade"?? Baffles. It also has pod filters on it and the original air box was not included, I have the carbs apart bs38s? (Any surefire way to ID these?) It looks like the jets are still stock. My question is should I go ahead and put larger jets to compensate for the air/exhaust changes? Also any recommendations on air screw setting? Again the bike runs pretty well, and its my first older metric bike, so i dont have anything to compare it to just wondering if i could get a little more out of her. IF it's any help I'm in virginia ab 900 to 1000 ft above sea level
1976 xs500

Offline burntfries36

• roanoke, va, united states
Re: Mikuni carbs? Setup help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »
Oh, and I also forgot ab needle/clip position
1976 xs500

Offline Jewbacca

• Where the heck is Sequim, WA??
    • Sequim, Washington, US
Re: Mikuni carbs? Setup help
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:23:22 AM »
Look up how to do a "plug chop". It'll let you know if your jets are the correct size or not depending on the color of the plugs at different rpms. As cool as they look, pod filters are not the most efficient air delivery system. They're a pain to dial in correctly. Something more like UNI filters on short ram tubes, or piecing together a stock air box will be easier to get correct.
1974 TX500A
I'm unique, just like everyone else.