Author Topic: Model question  (Read 391 times)

Offline wiguzziman

• Chippewa Falls, WI. USA
Model question
« on: August 29, 2017, 01:12:49 AM »
Howdy,
New member here with a model year question.  This past Saturday I purchased an XS500 from a gentleman that said the bike is a 1976 model.  The title is lost so there was no positive proof of the year.  After doing a bit of on-line reasearch I think that it's actually a 1978 model.  It has the black bodywork with gold striping and Yamaha in gold on the tank.  The side covers have just 500 in gold plus gold striping.  There is a black seat cowl at the very end of the seat and the rear fender is chrome.  The tag on the neck shows a build date of 6-77 followed by (506).  The motor and frame number is 1J3-200712.  Do I have a 1976 or a 1978? 

Thanks for any help and/or information. 

wiguzziman

Offline Brywil

• Cheshire England
Re: Model question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:00:51 PM »
Try this area of the forum for the Model Year info

http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=20.0

My bike is a 1978 Registrasion Plate but the frame number from the Forum shows it as a 76 (Which it might be) best bet is to ask a Yamaha Dealership to confirm it 100%, I will Check mine and let you know how it pairs up, No disrespect to the Registery I think its a great idea and this will only help validate the information too.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »
Local registration dates don't change when the bike was produced and the serial numbers are applied in sequence so the stamped frame number is the best way to determime the model year. Yamaha dealers can only see the more recent model years and don't have access to the old model registrations in the current warranty system. Post yours and I'll add you to the registry.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline Brywil

• Cheshire England
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:32:10 PM »
Hello Guy

Mine is  1H2-006256 with matching engine numbers too so in sequence looks to be a 1976 ?
I find it really interesting to think where had it been for two years before being road registered ? Who knows and I probably wont find out but I suppose the bikes may of been around for longer in the logistics and Retailer areas back then, or was it kept on a military ground for a more interesting example who knows.
I love the colours of my bike and wondered if the colours in the UK markets were different to other markets or the same colours at different model years ? Very interesting stuff 🏍