Author Topic: How to install a new points plate  (Read 231 times)

Offline rumorhazard

• Seattle, WA
How to install a new points plate
« on: April 03, 2018, 08:32:16 PM »
After getting no spark to the engine, I've found the culprit is the points plate. I found one that the apparently was off a working bike (ebay purchase) for a good price, so figured I'd just replace the part entirely.

I'm not sure how to remove the points plate. I've looked in the FSM and it doesn't mention how to do that at all.

It looks like the center bolt that you use to rotate the engine needs to come off, but it does not seem like a good idea to turn that counter-clockwise. I was thinking of putting the engine in first gear to prevent it from moving, and then loosening the bolt. But, figured I'd ask here before causing major problems.

So, how does the points plate come off?

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
Re: How to install a new points plate
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
As you said remove nut from shaft. It should loosen without bike in gear but a good idea all the same. With the nut and washers removed and two outer screws from the points plate the whole assembly including the advance mechanism can be removed. If it's your first time take plenty of pics.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
Re: How to install a new points plate
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:00:06 AM »
Just re-read your first post. Do not rotate the engine from the timing shaft. Remove hex plug from lower left under poi ts cover, insert 10mm hex key in to find socket and use that to rotate motor. Do not rotate backwards as you will put your cam timing out.