Author Topic: HELP!!!! No rear brakes.  (Read 1611 times)

Offline 76Dream

HELP!!!! No rear brakes.
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:08:43 AM »
Ok so i have a 76 XS500c my rear master cylinder is toast. I was going to rebuild it because the plunger is sucking air and leaking fluid but come to find out the clips and steel parts are all rusted together so there is no way to remove them. Does anybody know of any solutions to this problem possible replacement parts or equivelant parts to make. The only other option i can see is to put an xs650 Mc on it the bolt pattern is the same just different resovoirs.

Offline jimmer

• Administrator
    • Wichita KS./ Asheville N.C. USA
Re: HELP!!!! No rear brakes.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 03:55:02 AM »
I have 2 rear master cylinders and 2 rear calipers,with pads,etc,etc. pm me.

Offline wilberforce

• Tyneside, UK.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:09:09 PM »
I am trying to resurrect my XS and guess what, I'm in the same boat as 76Dream.

I was stripping the brake calipers and forced the piston out of the rear caliper as the brake fluid, I think is the original fluid from 1978  :-[

Once I had managed to get the master cylinder cap off, I was able to use a syringe to get some new fluid in, but after furious pumping of the brake lever, I am still getting nothing through to the end of the brake pipe which I have removed from the caliper.

I am thinking the master cylinder is goosed as there is fluid leaking below the cylinder, and sounds pretty much like the symptoms of 76Dream.

My real question is, how the hell do you get the master cylinder out to replace/rebuild it?

Cheers.

One of the Boys from the Wall.
XS500E - 1978 vintage
Aprillia Shiver 750 - 3,600 miles.
Moto Guzzi Breva V750ie - 2005 vintage - sold.

Offline 76Dream

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
I am trying to resurrect my XS and guess what, I'm in the same boat as 76Dream.

I was stripping the brake calipers and forced the piston out of the rear caliper as the brake fluid, I think is the original fluid from 1978  :-[

Once I had managed to get the master cylinder cap off, I was able to use a syringe to get some new fluid in, but after furious pumping of the brake lever, I am still getting nothing through to the end of the brake pipe which I have removed from the caliper.

I am thinking the master cylinder is goosed as there is fluid leaking below the cylinder, and sounds pretty much like the symptoms of 76Dream.

My real question is, how the hell do you get the master cylinder out to replace/rebuild it?

Cheers.

It is a pain in the tookus i had to remove the battery box and the brake line from the mc or the other option is to remove the plastic mud flap deal