Author Topic: 73 TX500 Resto  (Read 15564 times)

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
Re: 73 TX500 Resto
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 02:25:20 AM »
My impatience got the better of me and I purchased a brembo knock off master cyl locally that looked great. It wasn't period correct with its remote reservoir but it would do for now.
The bleeding process just didn't happen at all with this one. After retrying all the tricks used on the last one it still wasn't working.
With work and family I was only able to get a couple of hours a week on this so this process took a long time.
What I eventually found was, with the lever in its home position the port that allows fluid into the master cyl was still blocked.
After several attempts at shaving the heel of the lever back it allowed the master cly piston to travel back far enough to uncover the port and allow fluid into the master cyl bore.
To my disappointment the line between the reservoir and master cyl leaked brake fluid through (yes through) the rubber material. However by then my reproduction master cyl seal kit had arrived, so seal replaced, a bit of a tedious bleed process and it was done.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:29:45 AM by mvluv13 »

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 10:27:09 PM »
Mvluv, great job thus far. Hope you achieved your aims with braided lines on original master cylinder with new seals.
I had trouble opening pics to a reasonable size! Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
RegardZ
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »
Your not doing anything wrong, I have trouble linking pics much bigger than these.
Apart from the master cyl hassles the front brakes went pretty well. The place I purchased the master cyl and caliper from offered the option of hardline or banjo connection to the caliper.....easy.
The only other small issue was the leading edge of the caliper needed filing as it would not pivot off the disc with one bolt still in. No big deal.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 06:50:48 PM »
Another issue I wanted to tackle was the steering column lock. Ever since I purchased the bike the lock would not engage for some reason.
After many measuerments and head scratching I recalled when I removed the tripple clamps to my surprise there were tapered bearings in the bottom clamp.
So it seems with tapered bearings the steering shaft sits 1-2mm lower in the steer tube.
I filed a taper in the leading edge of the lock shaft and now it works as it should.
At this point I also recieved my mufflers. I went with ones shorter than standard, although at 26" I can hardly call them short.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
Another issue I needed to tackle was the air filter. As you all know they are just as hard to find as oil filters, which I have also solved with Brad's filter fix.
My solution was to cut out the paper element from the stock unit and replace with foam re useable material.

Trying new attachment method hopefully picsxare clearer.

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 06:36:42 AM »
Thanks last pic is bigger and hence, clearer!
RegardZ.
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »
That's what most people have resorted to and it probably is the best solution. The later '76 and up XS filters are foam that tends to fall apart on any NOS filters you may find. The earlier paper ones like yours should be better if the edge seal to the airbox is good but your fix is all you really need so long as the foam seals well to the filter frame.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:35 AM »
Have been slowly plugging away at this thing when I can. I wont go into detail about the Newtronics install as it can be found in the 'Newtronics ignition YAM3' thread under electrical. That problem was solved by cutting the chopper disc down.
One of the jobs I was putting off until an appropriate time was the guage cluster tidy up. I didn't want to put my new speedo with zero klms on the dial on until I felt it was 'ready'.
After the ignition was sorted it seemed like the right time.
As I said the speedo is new as is the guage binnacle and I just dismantled the tachometer and gave it a clean.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:34:12 AM by mvluv13 »

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 08:42:53 AM »
I also made the gearing a bit taller. She allways feels like she's revving a little hard at 100klms so with plenty of torque down low I thought some longer legs will help.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »
I have also secured the next project.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 10:38:44 PM »
Nearly forgot to mention, I also found a NOS points cover as mine was a little worse for wear.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 05:20:30 PM »
Have had a set back with the old girl. We are doing a major reno on our house at the moment so we have rented a place a couple of klms away. I trailered the bikes to the rental and as I rode the TX up the driveway it stalled and stopped with a loud clunk.
This clunk I have heard before.....
It was the same noise it made when the engine kicked backwards and jumped a couple of teeth on the exhaust cam.
Gently turning the motor over confirmed my suspicions as it locked up.
This is very frustrating as I don't have the room to do the repair at the moment.

I'm reasonably confident the ignition system was the culprit again as I had some intermittent miss on one cylinder on the last ride I went on. I didn't have any time to look into it as I was waist deep in moving preparation.

I am tempted to convert back to points as the electronic system seems to have a  habit of firing on the upwards compression stroke.

Any opinions or suggestions appreciated.
I have plenty of time to formulate an action plan as I don't have my workshop back until September.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 12:07:26 PM »
Time to give the old girl some love. Inlet valves bent from contact with piston. Have purchased NOS inlet valves and later model cam chain tensioner. Also new base and head gaskets.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 06:22:51 AM »
Does anyone have a bullet proof way of ensuring the cam chain tensioner is tensioned correctly? Is loosening and re-tightening while running the best method or set tension during assembly and re check periodically during servicing.
Engine has jumped a tooth twice now and bent valves. So I want to cover all bases this time around which is why I have the new style tensioner to go in.

Offline steve

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »
The standard adjustment procedure has always worked fine for me.   See the Haynes manual at page 72:  With the bike not running, "Position the engine so that the "V" mark on the auto advance unit baseplate is exactly in line with the pointer.    Slacken the dome nut of the tensioner and allow the tensioner to settle at its own level, before retightening the nut.   No further action is necessary as the tensioner is self-adjusting".

Do you have the factory manual?   It's available here: http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=267.0