Author Topic: 73 TX500 Resto  (Read 17684 times)

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
Re: 73 TX500 Resto
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 08:16:45 AM »
I have an original factory manual and that is the same procedure outlined.
Thanks for the reply, I'll stick with the procedure and hope the later released tensioner solves the problem.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »
Thought I would update the thread. Replaced bent valves and installed nos updated cam chain tensioner and she has been running great. Also bought a left switch block to replace the broken light switch stalk.
On a couple of rides on hotter days I would lose the right cylinder. After stopping and doing the usual checks she would come back to life so determined it was temp related.
On a particularly hot day I thought I would go for a run and try and find the peoblem. Sure enough 15 mins into the ride I lost the right cylinder.
First thing I did this time was look at the Newtronics module as it has leds to indicate an input from the optics. Nothing from the right.
To cut a long story short I had another set of optics which I replaced in and she runs great regardless of temp.
In other news my 2t project is nearly finished. Paint is being done which I had a photo update on a couple of days ago.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2019, 10:01:16 PM »
Have started having more temp related issues with newtronics system again. I have received a tytronic system to fit. Will report on results soon.

Offline Cheekywig

• Norwich, England
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2020, 12:53:34 PM »
What size tyres did you manage to get on it?

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2020, 08:04:43 AM »
Will have to check when I get home.
Pretty sure I stuck with the factory sizes of 3.25 front and 4.0 rear.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2020, 08:10:49 AM »
I have the bike running on the tytronic ignition. Modification to the base plate and the rotor was necessary. It has an issue now that the revs don't drop that fast when you roll off the throttle. Maybe the advance mech is getting stuck? If I ever get home I'll keep looking into it.

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2020, 11:56:57 AM »
Hi there the tytronic system that I tried out on my 1975 Xs500b needed those alterations too , although one minor addition I did not mention before on this site is that I added an extra thin washer under the existing breaker shaft end washer and nut, inside the rotor .I did this to lift the end nut slightly, as I thought that the new rotor was not sitting quite as far past the governor centre as the original Yamaha item. This could mean that the tytronic rotor is pinched in place by the breaker end nut and not allow totally free movement of the advance mechanism. This may explain the reluctance to return smoothly to idle that you describe.
Interested to hear that you fitted this system . Hope all goes well for you travel wise and in everything else of course.

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
Sorry I wrote it the wrong way round it should read that I put in the extra thin washer in as the new rotor was not sitting slightly below the governor centre shaft like the original Yamaha item did.
Great job on your restoration by the way .

Offline quattrodave

• West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
Did you see the thread both lumpy252 and I replied to on the Tytronic ignition, I have it working on my bike sucessfully but to get it so needed the pickups repositioning by around 30 degrees further round as the cut out in the advance rotor is in the wrong place, however it fitted my original advance mechanism without any washer spacers and without having to dismantle the unit, I just twisted the original centre piece off and put the new one on over the bob weights.

Thread here - http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=2166.30