Author Topic: carb help please  (Read 1761 times)

Offline bjacobs9

• Chicago
carb help please
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:31:42 AM »
I took the carb out of my 1975 xs500. However literally every part of it is seized and wont budge except for the choke switch. From reading other peoples posts Im not sure what letter carb it is but I was wondering if anyone had a good course of action. Im assuming they will have to be rebuild or replaced completely. Can I get some help here please

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
Re: carb help please
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:24:44 AM »
As long as you did not try to take anything apart yet, you can send them to me/drop them off   :D

I'm just north of Chicago

I will then look them over and let you know if they are salvageable and go from there.

Offline johnmurphy

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:30:39 AM »
I've been using a 2 mm thick by 67 mm inside diameter Buna N O ring Shore hardness 70 for part # 34.
I use a few dabs of automotive silicone sealant to keep it in place in the float bowl groove prior to assembly.
They can be sourced from the O ring store US$ 0.62 each. http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=368_12_11&sort=4a&page=6

I would imagine you could also use a circular O ring to replace the "P" shaped O ring (Part 86) if you accurately meaure it and use some silicone to hold it in place. Also you can order straight lengths of O ring material and glue to make any diameter O ring you want from the same source. BEWARE of the glue!!!! You can easily glue body parts ( fingers )  together.

John

Offline johnmurphy

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:35:31 AM »
Sorry,
I just replied to the wrong post.

John

Offline bjacobs9

• Chicago
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:37:54 AM »
Dean I just sent you an email. hopefully you got it. I live in the northwest suburbs so hopefully we can make something happen

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:00:23 PM »
I replied to your email