Author Topic: well then. . .  (Read 9551 times)

Offline TXRAT

• USA
Re: well then. . .
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 05:11:52 AM »
ahh-haa the heat sink made with 2 1/8 inch plates of Al. With the ignition modules mounted on it, freshly removed from the drill bit / housing box. Painted the inside of the box white to try to make it look nice and clean, clean rat?? lmiao!!

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 05:15:16 AM »
cleaned up, scribble down all pretty, and ready to go back in the box and wires reinstalled.  :o

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 05:17:25 AM »
Tomorrow I'm going to clean the outside of it try to get it painted and get in the house to do the detail work on it trying to do a little bit of pin stripe type stuff. Had to overhaul the front end on my 4 by 4 Ranger, costs a little more than expected money and time wise lol

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
I still have the bare frame on the lift.  Now its semi gloss.  The unity head lamp unit is looking nice, the brake stay& the "air intake" on the top of the motor,  and my shift lever are all the same colors. ;)
Have been working on the fender(duhh, rear) and the springer. holy moly, has anyone priced out Pyke nuts lately!?! Dammit, did I miss a decade?? Well I might put up a pic, maybe.  But im always looking for spare parts, bikes. Just in case yamaha stops making them, laughing my insane ass off!!!   
Miss ya'll cant wait till ya see her in a big pic spread, being 4 colors at once aint the hardest of it, making them look good while doing that, no small task. 8)

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 07:00:17 AM »
Ahh welll got 1,yes one pic.... it's too large... thats what shee said!!!! Lmiao!! Well ill turn down the camera, add get some more pics.... shits, & cussin'....

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58:18 PM »
Yeah bro, sexy.

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »
Progress being made, little time though. Converted wood burner to oil burner. Will be finished by spring.  Front end properly mounted, finally decided what / how I will finish rear fender, kinda leaning toward making a coffin style tank. I would be able to locate fuel exit correctly, and fuel input up higher. Have also decided to completely rewire everything with new wire to prevent any problems from "popping up".

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »
Better pic?

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 10:55:22 PM »
TXRAT, Could you tell me the model type of MSD coils and do you really need the heat sink if they were exposed under tank?
RegardZ ~ Garn
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 09:36:14 PM »
I haven't got the MSd coils yet. They would be a ford 4.8 modular motor coils, Mustang, F150, Crown Victoria; Mercury LTD have them. Seems that the Wells 101 (General Motors type) ignition modules will fire just about any type of coils hooked up. And the heat sink I put in behind them in the box, might have been a little overkill, one 3/16th inch plate would have been sufficient.  But it was made out of stuff on hand. If you are planning on mounting coils on top of the motor make sure to aquire the rubber boot that attaches to the coil and spring that fits inside of it. Both will have to be trimmed down to fit but afe needed to isolate the electricity from going to the motor, it will find the shortest path(least resistance) and skip the spark plug causing a miss or no fire condition.

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »
Oh, if the ignition modules are left exposed, a heat sink is probably not necessary.  In there(Wells 101) original application they are mounted inside the distributor right on top in the back of the motor.  That being said they are exposed to a lot of engine heat, I would guess around 150 f. at a minimum under "warmed up" operating.  I put them in a mostly sealed box so I wanted the extra assurance, at $70 usd each, I used caution.  Ill check in more often, hope the information helps. Remember these bikes are 180 phase. Or the pistons operate opposite of each other.  On bike that are 360 phase they both go up and down together.  That being said 2 coils, 2 modules, 2 pick up coils are required on the 180 bikes. On the 360 bikes only one of each is required because both cylinders fire at the same time. One is on power,the othe on exhauste. 500 twins are beasts, especially with a good ignition, but are a little more complex. 

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 10:14:02 PM »
Found some pics.

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 10:18:38 PM »
Toyota pickup coils,  1.8 motors have them. Then a spacer has to be made, longer bolts, ect. The cover will have about a half inch gap other wize.

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 08:03:51 AM »
Hmm.

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 03:10:16 AM »
I won another trophy at a local bike trail show, second place for most radical bike. I lost to a West Coast Choppers bike built by Jesse James, not really sure if that's a loss.