Author Topic: The Old Girl  (Read 10447 times)

Offline Wally

• Brisbane Queensland Australia
The Old Girl
« on: October 05, 2014, 01:32:31 AM »
I thought it's time I created a thread on my 73 TX project. It's been a slow task and there is still a long way to go but here's where I'm at so far......

A bit of background on the bike. In the late 70's, my uncle traded his VW Combi Van for this bike with the intentions of making a drag bike out of it. He stripped it of all parts except engine,tank,seat and the wheels. Then for some reason, he lost interest and parked it in the shed on my parents farm where it sat untouched up until 2004 when my parents sold up and moved. It was then shifted to our neighbours shed where it sat until April this year when I decided "I want to get this thing going". During the move in 2004 all the parts that had been removed and put in boxes where lost including the gauges so I had no idea how many miles this thing had done. I got it back to my dads shed where we cleaned it up and tried to kick it over to see if the cylinders where free. They didn't budge, so we sprayed a heap of WD-40 into the plug holes and decided it was beer time.
The next day we tried again and with a bit of effort we got the Pistons unseized but not for long, got a bit of movement then it wouldn't budge. So we loaded it up on the trailer for the 8 1/2hr drive back to Brisbane.
Once I got it home I removed the engine from the frame and started pulling it down following the workshop manual very carefully. I could tell this old bike had had a hard life the handle bars where bent, there was gravel rash on both side cases, fins where cracked off, the gear shift shaft was bent and part of the lower crankcase mount next to it had snapped off on one side from what I imagine was either the chain snapping at some stage or something large flicking up from underneath. All of this just fuelled my motivation to bring this old thing back to life and turn it  into something awesome.
I started removing the head, the whole time thinking to myself "please don't be cracked". Once I got it off I  soon discovered why the Pistons weren't moving anymore. One of the exhaust valves was stuck. Oh yeah and there was also 2 nice cracks around each spark plug thread.... Bugger!
I continued on removing the cylinders and Pistons. I got to the crankcase halves and thought to myself "If I'm going to do a job, I might as well do it properly" then proceeded to split the halves. I now know why you guys say not to go into these engines unless you really have to, they are complicated and parts are F ing expensive especially for us guys and girls here in Aus as most parts have to come from the States. At the same time I wanted to get a bit of experience with "rebuilding" engines and although these probably aren't the best for that, I thought what the heck.
As it sits now I have replaced the shift shaft, shift drum, removed and cleaned transmission bearings, replaced Conrod and crankcase shells, got the cylinders rebored to 1st OS, installing 2F1 high comp Pistons with a 78 one piece head (thanks Dean), installing 78 cam chain tensioner ( also thanks to Dean) and installing later balancer chain set up (thanks Jimmer).
There is still a long way to go but here is some pics of where I'm at so far......

Offline Wally

Re: The Old Girl
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 01:36:24 AM »
First rolled out of the shed

Offline Wally

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:38:55 AM »
First wash after 30 odd years

Offline Wally

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 01:49:55 AM »
Cleaned up pretty well

Offline Wally

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:52:22 AM »
Engine out

Offline Wally

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 01:56:25 AM »
Had to knock up a quick work bench

Offline Wally

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 02:00:23 AM »
Removal of unwanted mounts

Offline Wally

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 02:06:27 AM »
New battery mount and electrical tray (cardboard box is my battery template). Plenty of room for the Newtronics

Offline Wally

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 02:13:43 AM »
Few bits painted up

Offline Wally

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 02:25:00 AM »
Fitting up new rear guard, still a few alterations needed

Offline Wally

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 02:37:20 AM »
New battery mount and electrical tray (cardboard box is my battery template). Plenty of room for the Newtronics

That isn't the final finish on the battery box, those terrible welds will be tidied as well as a plate put on the front and back

Offline Wally

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »
Almost got the battery mount and electrical box complete And then I ran out of wire for the Mig... Damn

Offline steve

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 08:37:35 PM »
Welcome!   

That's a heroic project you've got there, Wally.   Looks like it needs just about everything!    No worries, though; between the members of this forum and the usual retail parts suppliers, you will be able to get everything you need to rebuild it.

Your battery box and tool tray look like a good solid design.   When you get it completely fitted and welded in, it may even add strength to the frame.  The welds do look like shite, as you said, but you'll fix that.

Nice workbench.  Ideal for rebuilding the motor, etc.   A big project like a TX motor rebuild deserves a fine new bench.

Anyway, welcome to the asylum.   The inmates here can tell you anything you need to know, so don't hesitate to ask.

Offline Wally

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 10:52:35 PM »
Hey Steve,
Yes it certainly wasn't in great shape when I rolled it out of the shed and it definitely has been a challenge and an expensive one at that, but there would be no fun in it if it wasn't a challenge.
My welds are pretty embarrassing haha, I have always used arc welders but I was given this mig welder a little while back and this is the first time I have really used it. Slowly getting the hang of it.
I cut out one of the main supports under the seat to make room for my battery box so I will have to improve my welding before I put new supports in. I will try and keep the thread going on my progress....

Offline diablo713

• usa indiana
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 11:48:01 AM »
What size battery are you using because the one the bike calls for is way taller than that box you are making. I have been looking for a smaller conventional battery but have had no such luck.