Author Topic: SPECULATING ON AN XS  (Read 1595 times)

Offline blue sky

• Southeast South Dakota
SPECULATING ON AN XS
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:59:47 PM »
Hi Folks, I've been lurking around here lately.  Got my eyes on a '78 XS that appears to be in pretty decent shape, although it hasn't been run in 10 years plus. It's really a 3-owner bike at this point.  Mostly garaged.  15,000 miles.  Seems to have good compression when kicked-over. Inside of tank looks almost spotless.  Current owner says all light and indicators lit up when he had a battery hooked up to it. Carb slides are not frozen, but of course, not smooth either.  No oil on the dip stick has me somewhat concerned. Front master-cylinder needs to be replaced.  Tires have good tread, but too old too keep. Chrome and mufflers appearance is good.  Seat will need to be recovered. Kinda thinking that a good carb cleaning and some fresh gas, the thing might start and run.Asking price is now $700, (down from $900).  It's not a steal, but probably reasonable.  Appreciate any feedback on that scenario.

About myself - I have just entered full retirement at age 64.  (about to get my 3rd pacemaker implanted).  I've had Yamaha's in the past.  A couple of Royalstar V-4 1300's most recently. Had an xs650 and 750 way back when.  Haven't really turned wrenches on a bike since back then either.  Wife and I know our highway days are behind us. We were really looking for something pretty light, but also capable of 2-up riding, (but not for any real long hauls) when I stumbled across this XS.  I'm thinking the bike could be a nice retirement project, and I can't wait to get a "toy" back in the garage.  Some of what I've read here, cracked heads .  . oil leaks etc, kinda scares me.  On a forum full of XS enthusiasts, I'm thinking I should get nothing but a lot of encouragement to "go for it"!!  Appreciate any feedback.  Maybe be an XS500 owner real soon.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: SPECULATING ON AN XS
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum, good to see another old f**t is interested in an XS500. The bike you are looking at was the end of the line for the 500 here in the States but also the one with the most fixes and improvements and so usually a good choice if complete. As described $700 sounds fair for it. If you pick it up we'll be happy to help with advice and answers to your questions.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline blue sky

• Southeast South Dakota
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 01:19:47 AM »
I will share more when I finalize the purchase.  Look forward to gathering in all the wisdom shared here.

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »
BlueSky, you really get to enjoy bikes when you retire.
Good luck with the project.
Youu are right to suggest the oil leaks are a worry. You will have plenty of time to resolve this problem.
RegardZ .
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline jimmer

• Administrator
    • Pisgah Forest, N.C. USA
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:29:00 AM »
The '78's are a great choice . Sounds priced right,but may take plenty of tinkering to get it enjoyable.GO FOR IT! And happy retirement  ;)