Author Topic: TX500 photos.  (Read 3587 times)

Offline steve

TX500 photos.
« on: November 03, 2012, 06:07:05 PM »
Here are some photos of my TX500.  The fuel tank, seat, rear cowl, battery box and mufflers are homemade.  It has clip on handlebars and rearset footpegs.  Aluminum rims and front brake caliper are from an XS650.  Front fender is from a Yamaha Radian (shortened), and fork brace is from a Yamaha DT1 250.   Footpegs are from a Yamaha R1.  Shift lever and shift linkage is from a FZR600 (modified).  Master cylinder is from a Yamaha YFM400.  Rear brake lever is from a RD250 (modified).  Headlight is from an RD350 (modified), with a H4 bulb conversion.  Progressive Suspension fork springs and rear shocks.  Kickstart only; electric starter motor, starter motor gears and chain, and starter free clutch have been removed.   Tapered steering head bearings.  Bronze swingarm bushings.  Front forks legs are both right-side legs, because the right-side legs have the nuts and bolts on the bottom to hold the axle firmly (on stock TX500s, the left-side fork leg has only a slip-fit for the axle, not nuts and bolts).

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
Re: TX500 photos.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »
KUDOS! What a sleek, clean looking bike.
Two right side fork legs- a great idea!
Bike of the month nomination here!

Offline Gymi

• Administrator
    • Royal Oak, Michigan
    • Gymi's Garage
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »
WOW!! what a clean design, I absolutely love it. Great Job!!
96 VFR750
01 WR426

Offline steve

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Here's a video of me starting it up and riding it, Just click the pic:

I've got it tuned as well as I can; it pulls strong throughout the rev range.  But you can hear that slight burble/hesitation when it's just coming off idle.  I'd like to fix that.

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:10:58 PM »
Great looking bike Steve !  Simple, clean, very well done.

Did you solve that burble ?

Offline mfpd5

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:11:31 PM »
Awesome looking bike! I hope mine turns out half as nice at yours.

Offline steve

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »
Did you solve that burble ?

I backed the pilot screw out another half a turn (it's now set a 1.75 turns out), and I'd say it's almost perfect now.  The only time is hesitates even a little is when I whack the throttle wide open from idle.  It doesn't bog down or stall, just a momentary burble.  In normal riding, I don't really notice it.  Does yours take full throttle from idle? 

I would experiment with drilling out the vaccuum port, like you did, but I'm afraid I would ruin the part, and I don't have a spare.

For everyone else, here's a link to the discussion where Dean describes the tuning for his bike:http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16726

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
As a yama-rule the pilot screw should be 1 turn out +/-  1/2 turn.

I  think your pilot / slow jet size is too small if you are out 1-3/4 turns out on the pilot screw.  Backing out the mixture screw DOES  provide a richer mix at idle as the fuel / air mixture is sprayed through the pilot outlet. A touch over idle, the pilot/ slow jets spray  fuel through the bypass outlet too ( the mixture screw does not control this part, the slow air jet and slow fuel jet combination does .... so, it may be that  tiny moment between idle and when the needle starts to lift, you are  lean and you get a burble  )    I am at  #55 on the slow/idle fuel  jets .

If it burbles in a first gear launch when whacking the throttle from idle, you should correct your tune.

........ if you are getting a burble when whacking the throttle from idle  when in  NEUTRAL or with the clutch pulled... I would just leave it be..  ( mine does...  )

ps- your bike looks fantastic