Author Topic: Broken shifter shaft  (Read 1467 times)

Offline fearlesscycles

Broken shifter shaft
« on: November 04, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »
Hello,
I have a 75 XS500 with a broken shifter shaft. I have the replacement. I have come to the conclusion that the shaft does not run thru anything inside the case. Is that true?

Thanks,
Fearless

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
Re: Broken shifter shaft
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »
That's true, the shaft ( in red) goes through the case, however it does not go through or connect to anything inside. You can remove and replace the shift shaft without splitting the case. Just make sure where it broke, it is  burr free so you do not damage the seal on the left side ( that seal can be replaced, it is pressed in from the outside) . You have to pull the clutch cover on the right side, the clutch etc. and the shifter shaft will pull out the right side of the case. 

Offline fearlesscycles

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »
Thank you! I filed down the broken end. And have it out. I ordered the new seal and cover gasket. The motor is out of the frame, should I take a look at the oil pump?

Fearless

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 03:48:41 PM »
If you had good oil pressure, I would not mess with it. The actual oil pump is accessed only by splitting the cases ( it bolts into the lower case from the top side..... highlighted in green below)

What you should do, by removing the bottom cover "oil pan",   is clean the oil strainers and the strainer valve assemblies ( highlighted in red below) . There is also a  magnet  that collects ferrous particles  ) make sure you pre-oil the strainer assembly valves before reassembling. 

Offline fearlesscycles

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »
Thanks Dean!