Author Topic: Inconstant idle when warm  (Read 1476 times)

Offline honda256

• ia
Inconstant idle when warm
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:08:05 AM »
hello,
i am new to the tx500 forum.
 hoping someone can help me out a little bit with my bike. i am fairly knowledgeable on this stuff but am stuck on this one for the moment.
on my bike the idle is inconstant when warm, will hang at times and other times will idle low and die. valves have been set, timing set and advance checked.
i tried to find  the guidefor trouble shooting by i think it was guy, and on this address also  http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=338.msg1344#msg1344  ,but have no luck accessing either.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
dave

Offline kckranz

• Angier, NC
Re: Inconstant idle when warm
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 12:19:21 AM »
Have you synced the carbs?  I had a problem similar as yours and I was constantly fiddling with the idle adjustment screw.  Once I had the carbs synced, the problem went away and I haven't touched the idle adjustment screw since.

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 05:00:07 AM »
As above re- sync carbs.
Also check throttle cable handle-bars.
RegardZ
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline dankeller

• 1978 xs500
    • toronto, on, canada
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:43:24 AM »
I would add that you should check the 8 head bolts are torqued, valve clearances are correct, timing is set, and check for air leaks around carbs and carb joints. You can generally check your carb sync at idle by putting your hands a couple inches out from the exhaust and feeling the back pressure. Is it even or is it blowing a lot more out one side compared to the other.  If the stalling is linked to a low battery voltage, it could be electrical. Could be coil failing when hot. Replace spark plugs, and points, maybe condenser, check spark plug wire connections.  How is your battery? Does it maintain a resting charge above 12.5v? Is the low idle and stalling worse with headlight and brakes lights and turn signal on? If so could be bad corroded connectors in wire harness and fuses, bad ground connection.