Author Topic: Ian's 74 TX/CBR 500 Hybrid  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Jewbacca

• Where the heck is Sequim, WA??
    • Sequim, Washington, US
Ian's 74 TX/CBR 500 Hybrid
« on: November 28, 2015, 01:10:53 AM »
Hey everyone. I had some pictures in my intro post, but figured I would put them here instead as this project is finally starting to get some progress done. So here goes, a lot of these are just catch up from the beginning, so bear with me:

When she came home:

Torn down the first night:

Someone treated her really bad in the past:

REALLY bad:

So I bought a spare engine that turned out to not be complete, BUT had the 1 piece head and some other parts I really needed:

Then I picked up a complete CBR600F1 front end to replace my rusted, pitted front end:

But, because the stems were completely different, I had to make my own (I work in a machine shop):

So that's where I'm at now. Next week I'll be welding the stem into the CBR lower triple and the front end with be completed and able to be put on the bike. I'll set the brake caliper and rotor spacing after that. Once that's done, the frame is getting paint stripped and pretty much every tab and mount is getting cut except the engine mounts and rear shock mounts, and new bracing is replacing the hump in the back to make room for an electronics tray under the (eventual) seat. Long way to go, but in Washington our riding season doesn't start agin until about April so I've got a little bit of time.
1974 TX500A
I'm unique, just like everyone else.

Offline Jewbacca

• Sequim, Washington, US
Re: Ian's 74 TX/CBR 500 Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 04:10:31 AM »
Finally got around to finishing the stem transfer for my CBR front end. I gotta say, it was nerve wracking once I had everything clamped down and the welder ready to go! I was just hoping all my measurements were right. But, it came out great, straight as an arrow and the welds turned out just right.

Next step is to lighten the frame a few pounds by way of removing unnecessary brackets and mounting tabs, square-hooping the rear end, getting rid of the center stand and trying to source an aluminum swingarm than is close enough to fit with or without modifying.
1974 TX500A

Offline Jewbacca

• Sequim, Washington, US
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 03:37:02 AM »
Went out in the garage today and just had to get something done. So I busted out the nylon abrasive wheel and got most of the paint off. The passenger foot pegs are coming off, and the tail section is as well, and will be replaced with braced tubing that is going to match the final seat shape.
1974 TX500A

Offline Jewbacca

• Sequim, Washington, US
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:33:14 AM »
So, I tore apart my spare engine the last 2 days. All the way to the crank. Split the cases and all. It wasn't as hard as I had imagined, which definitely helps me with my hesitance to swap the head over on my "good" engine. The donor, I found out, is a 76 model, and surprisingly, in VERY good condition internally. Bearing areas showed no signs of discoloration or hot spots, transmission gears are in great shape and slide smoothly. Rubber seals are about the only "bad" areas. So now I have 958 internal parts for a 76 XS500 spread all over my workbench. I'll be buttoning the case back up empty when I'm done and using it to mock up and test fit all my custom pieces I'm making (lots easier to move around 30-40lbs of aluminum instead of 125).

P.S. Next item I'm ordering... Haynes repair manual. The one I have is absolutely horrible. B&W photos, looks like they were taken at night also LOL, and extremely vague teardown and install procedures. Anyway, here's the carnage:

1974 TX500A

Offline Jewbacca

• Sequim, Washington, US
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 04:59:04 AM »
Got some time in the garage today. Tore down the TX engine to the rotor and clutch basket. Waiting on a clutch tool to crack the basket loose without damaging anything. Also, to my amazement, my 2 piece original head is NOT CRACKED! Ever seen one of those? Well, you have now...
1974 TX500A

Offline Jewbacca

• Sequim, Washington, US
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 04:51:32 AM »
Finally got off my ass at lunch and did something productive. It's been hectic at work and I just haven't had the energy to do a lot during the lunch hour. But, I finally made my 45 degree seat lapping blank and it turned out beautifully. I'll snap some pics of it, and it's 30 degree counterpart, tomorrow. I did however take it for a quick spin, making sure my contact surface was within range and angle was correct. This was just preliminary sanding. I was more just trying to see if it was actually going to work on Titanium Nitride valve seats, which it did to my relief. I'll have to make up 2 more for the exhaust as they're different sizes. Once they are sanded down to where there's no more pitting (there's some light pits that would probably be fine, but it's apart, I might as well do it right) and I double and triple check for uniform angle widths across the 4 intakes and exhausts, I can set the valves up and skim them with the lathe grinder, then finally lap them to the valves. Anyway, pics:

First is before, second is after 2-3 runs of 320 grit.
1974 TX500A

Offline Jewbacca

• Sequim, Washington, US
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 05:28:03 AM »
Got a pic of the blanks I made to sand in the seats. If anyone else is thinking of doing it this way, let me know and I'll put up the measurements of the tools.
1974 TX500A

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 03:50:32 AM »
I've been out of action for a while... But I saw you were going to try something I already did. Be aware: the one-piece heads don't fit properly on the early bottom ends. If you try it, you'll crash exhaust valves. Trust me, I've done it.
Maybe with a thicker head gasket it can be done, but I wouldn't want you to go through all that work for it to end in disaster. Hope you figure things out.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 02:52:22 AM »
I trust your experience but I'd swear we've had people successfully swap the one piece head onto earlier cylinders. As far as I know the rods and cylinders are the same dimensions and early pistons are used on the C model. Anybody care to chime in?

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline Jewbacca

• Sequim, Washington, US
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 05:04:27 AM »
Well, the thing is, I've got the cylinders, pistons, rods and crank from the newer engine that I CAN use if need be if there is a clearance issue. They're all in decent shape and I'd have no problem using them. I'll be sure to look out for it though. Thanks for the tip!
1974 TX500A