Author Topic: Retired Old Disabled Fart.  (Read 1455 times)

Offline mojojerry

• Greenville, Alabama USA 36037
Retired Old Disabled Fart.
« on: January 04, 2016, 04:42:51 AM »
I had to retire 10 years ago because of my back. Let's forget that. Just remember I can only do about 10 % of what I use to. I just mentioned this so you would not wonder why it takes me so long to do anything.
I got an XS500E I think, about 4 years ago. I was told it was loan to a friend and hasn't ran since. It tested low compression on the right and min on left. I stripped the bike over about a years time. I pulled the engine. When I dumped the engine oil. It looked old. But, it also looked to be about 20 to 30 % gas. When I pulled the valve cover two of the valves were very rusty and open about 1/4". I lapped all of the valves until I got a good seal. I worried over the gas in the oil for a couple of years. But have decided to go ahead and clean everything up an reassemble the bike. I did notice while looking through the piston cylinders some lumps of oil sludge in the oil pan. I can't make up my mind wether to pull the pan or just put some gas in it and slosh it around. Anyone have any ideas ? I would love to hear them. I am glad I found this forum. I am sure it will be great to chat with others that like old bikes. mojo

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
Re: Retired Old Disabled Fart.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:11:27 PM »
MojoJerry, it is sure nice to get a machine running, before a complete overhaul.
Even with bad back, I think I would drop the sump pan and check her out, particularly if she is dirty and had petrol in oil.
I usually find the petrol tank and pet-cocks give trouble with rust if machine has been hanging around for a while.  Buy a complete gasket kit in readiness to replace head after valve grind and other work.
If you have the head off you may as well put some new rings in after inspecting the bores.
Also, you may as well overhaul carbs.  Gee, before you know it you have done a complete overhaul!
Good luck & regardZ.
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline mojojerry

• Greenville, Alabama USA 36037
Re: Retired Old Disabled Fart.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »
Thanks Karma. I broke down and pulled the sump pan. I bet that sump pan was 1/2" deep in Hog fat or lard and the piston c clip I had lost. Other that that everthins looks fine. My intentions are to put it back together and get it running before spending any more time or money on her. Thanks Mojo