Author Topic: Sr500 rear wheel on xs500, clearance issue  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Jramos13

• San juan
Sr500 rear wheel on xs500, clearance issue
« on: January 31, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
i think i got a 77 SR500 Mag rear wheel, its 18X1.85, it came with a 38 sprocket

when i took a closer look the sr500 rear disk, the disck touchs the caliper, the actual metal of the inside of the caliper rubs against the front of the disk itself.
When i removed the disk the wheel spun freely, so my first thougt was to try a a get a XS500 rear rotor, dunno if that would actually be the issue or some other thing is wrong

Another thing i noted, not sure if it might be related, when i torqued to 110ft lb the rear shaft it just clamped the wheel, it would not move at all

Also in the shaft, there is a small pace about 4-5mm between the caliper mount and the with the wheel spacer that goes in fron of the bearing, i put in a small spacer and it works, but im not sure of it should go Like that.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:22:10 PM by Jramos13 »

Offline Jewbacca

• Where the heck is Sequim, WA??
    • Sequim, Washington, US
Re: Sr500 rear wheel on xs500, clearance issue
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
As far as the disc hitting the front of the caliper, you could just have the diameter of the disc shaved down at a machine shop so as to not hit the caliper anymore. It won't affect the braking at all. If you're clamping down the wheel when torquing the axle, then the wheel is too wide, might only be 1 or 2 mm, but it's too wide. You could also get it shaved down a hair or two at a machine shop, and that might solve the problem. As far as using a spacer, lots of wheels require spacers to make up the width difference. You may just have to use a spacer in order for it to clamp snug, but not so tight that it causes resistance in turning.
1974 TX500A
I'm unique, just like everyone else.

Offline Jramos13

• San juan
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »
Hi!

The thing is , its hitting with the face of the rotor the inside, the whole rotor face is rubbing the inside of the caliper, maybe milling a bit the back part of the rotor the base where it bolts to the wheel?

Offline Jramos13

• San juan
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 10:22:07 PM »
Ill mount the disk and snap a pic tonnight!

Offline dave835

• Nevada , U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 11:40:28 PM »
maybe you need to put the spacer out board of the caliper carrier ? also make sure to keep the wheel centered in the swing arm . I see by the registry your bike had wire wheels . do you still have them ? I have both cast wheels for an
XS500 with the rear still on a swing arm , brake and all . Perhaps we can work out a trade , and you will have the proper parts with no headaches ! I would personally not put a narrower wheel on the rear if I could help it . My plan is to put wire wheels on an XJ650 Seca , if I can adapt the rear to shaft drive . Just thinking out loud  !

Offline Jewbacca

• Where the heck is Sequim, WA??
    • Sequim, Washington, US
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:34:14 AM »
Hi!

The thing is , its hitting with the face of the rotor the inside, the whole rotor face is rubbing the inside of the caliper, maybe milling a bit the back part of the rotor the base where it bolts to the wheel?

Ah, misunderstood your first description! You could take some off the back of the disc mount if needed, but I would keep it to a minimum. Like dave835 said, make sure it's perfectly centered in the swingarm first, then worry about cutting metal away and from where. If it's only 1/2 or 3/4mm, you could take it from the disc itself if need be. Otherwise, I'd split the difference between the disc and the mounting flange, as I wouldn't want either of them to end up too thin.
1974 TX500A
I'm unique, just like everyone else.

Offline Jramos13

• San juan
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:24:02 AM »
Yea, english is not my first language, something is kind of hard to describe stuff hehe,

Heres a pic of it:

Offline Jramos13

• San juan
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:29:44 AM »
A intresting fact i just noticed, when i took the axle off to install the rotor and out it back together, the space between the caliper mount and the wheel is gone, still rubs though

Offline Jramos13

• San juan
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 01:43:55 AM »
The gap on the other side where the rotor is rubbing is 2.794 mm, so if i shave 1.4mm from the bottom of the rotor mount (wheel side) i should clear it, would this be a good course of action? Ot is there something else i should look for?

And now that i took the rotor off, the gap is there again, im really confused by this... I might just get a xs500 rear wheel....

When you torque down the rear axle, should the swing arm close a bit too? Or it ahould remain the same width regardless if its torque or not?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:55:45 AM by Jramos13 »