Author Topic: Valve timing  (Read 1269 times)

Terrorshark

Valve timing
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:56:41 PM »
Took over a very half assed project.

Motor is almost all together but I don't have a manual.
I'm not sure how to align the dots on the cam
Chain gear with the crankshaft gear.
There is also the timing gear that has a dot on it as well how do I align these.
I also got an aftermarket cam chain and it seems like it's one link short. I'm sure it's something to do with th chain tensioner but not really sure how to make it work.

With that. I know there's the timing marks on the cams. And they need to be around 1.5mm to the left? Of the marker on the guide. But where do I align the cam chain gear and crank?

B.A.S.

Re: Valve timing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 08:12:43 PM »
1) Remove the right side cover. In order to get access to the lower alignment marks on the crank, you will need to remove the dog bone. There are 3 marks in total, align cog tooth with single dot in-between cog teeth with 2 dots.

2) With cam chain tensioner fully retracted, assembly cylinder head while keeping cam chain taught. Dots on exhaust and intake cam shafts should match arrow markings on camshaft caps. In order to get the fit just right (as it will only go on one way) you may have to move the marks slightly off center.

Use the correct fitting cam chain. Any slack in the chain can damage internals. Contact Crouchy if you need cam chain links. He has some.

Cam chain tensioner if spring loaded on the '73-'75 models. There is an acorn nut on the exhaust side of the head. Push down on the tensioner sprocket and tighten nut in place to secure tensioner in place with maximum amount of play in order to assemble chain. When all secured, release tensioner and gently secure nut.