Author Topic: Clutch Problem  (Read 1063 times)

Offline baileyan

Clutch Problem
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:29:53 PM »
Hi there, just found your forum and was wondering if anyone can help a newbie with a clutch problem? I have an xs500 '76 that has been turned into a cafe racer - an impulse eBay purchase!
I was riding it yesterday and a felt a large jolt from the right side of the bike and then I noticed the clutch lever was loose and there was no resistance on the cable I.e no clutch. I have taken the left hand engine cover off (that houses the oil filter) to check the cable hadn't snapped. On closer inspection, the cable is fine, but the clutch release mechanism seems to now move freely without any resistance. I haven't stripped the clutch down yet, before I do, does anyone have any idea what this problem could be? Does anyone have any tips for stripping the clutch? I'm guessing that I need to take the ignition points out first before draining the oil and taking the right hand engine cover off? Sorry for all the questions, as I Sid, I'm a newbie!

Thanks, Alex

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
Re: Clutch Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 06:30:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum. When you have a chance, introduce yourself and post some pics of your bike.
Regarding the clutch, this is what is supposed to happen:
(I'm assuming the clutch is now fully engaged? )

When the clutch lever is pulled, the push lever assy. (#20 in the pic) rotates and because it's a worm gear, it moves inwards, pushing on the push rod. With the cover off, check to make sure that the worm gear is moving in when it rotates. Also, if the left engine cover is loose, then the push lever assy will be too far away from the push rod to release the clutch.

While the cover is off, check that the push rod moves in and out easily and check that it is straight. (Roll it on a flat surface.)