Author Topic: Valve Stems  (Read 3306 times)

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
Valve Stems
« on: October 04, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
I'm wondering what valve stem those that are running tubeless on factory C/D wheels are using. Also, is there any advantage to 110/90-18 vs. 4:00-18 (Avon AM26 Roadriders)?  TIA
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: Valve Stems
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:28:20 PM »
I run the valve stem type that has a nut and sealing washer on mine. No leaks in 4 years. Here's the Yamaha part number 93900-00031. Same type as used on most of the 1980's cast wheel equipped bikes.

On the Avon tire, I went with the 110/90-18. The 4.00-18 is almost exactly the same diameter but has a thicker tread, 7.5 mm vs. 5.6 mm on the 110/90. If you expect to do a lot of miles then the 4.00-18 will likely last longer. i can't speak with any real knowledge on the handling difference but would speculate that the 110/90 might handle a little crisper at first with the thinner tread depth. My bike handles beautifully with the 3.25-19 on the front and 110/90 on the rear.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:33:09 PM »
Sweet. That's exactly what I needed. Thank you Guy!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 08:13:21 PM »
So I finally received my valve stems. Question; there is a conical washer/seal that I assume goes outside the rim, under the double nuts. Does the taper go towards the rim or towards the valve cap?

Thanks- John
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »
photo
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »
So I finally received my valve stems. Question; there is a conical washer/seal that I assume goes outside the rim, under the double nuts. Does the taper go towards the rim or towards the valve cap?

Thanks- John

John, the sealing washer goes on the inside of the rim. The conical washer goes outside with the flat side against the rim and the locking nuts on top of it.

Guy

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »
Thank You Guy.
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 05:36:50 PM »
I just re-read my reply and I want to make it clear to everyone that the sealing washer goes inside of the rim and tire and that the washer goes on the outside where you can see it.

Guy

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 02:27:45 AM »
Like this:

-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline wilberforce

• Tyneside, UK.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 09:11:58 PM »
Just a comment on the tyre size, I have run a 120/90 on the rear for years, OK, it isn't a runner currently.  I dare say I'd need to replace if and when I put the XS back on the road. 

I think I also ran a 425/85 as well.  I used mostly Metzelers ME99A's, good grip and wear, but did run a Pirelli (once), not the Phantom, could have been have been a Mandrake, wore it out inside 1,500 miles.
One of the Boys from the Wall.
XS500E - 1978 vintage
Aprillia Shiver 750 - 3,600 miles.
Moto Guzzi Breva V750ie - 2005 vintage - sold.