Author Topic: '77 cast rear wheel, sprocket carrier, cushions  (Read 1595 times)

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
'77 cast rear wheel, sprocket carrier, cushions
« on: November 03, 2016, 01:04:29 AM »
Hi All,

Is there any way to replace the cushions in the wheel hub that the sprocket carrier slides into?
I don't see a replacement part shown on the parts fiche.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: '77 cast rear wheel, sprocket carrier, cushions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »
Those come with the studs and can be replaced. They aren't shown in the XS500C,D,E parts catalogs but the 1980 XS400SG shows them and I believe they are the same.  The part number is 1U4-25364-00-00 and they are still available through Yamaha dealers. They aren't cheap however but Speed & Sport has them and they are good to work with. I'll try to get you the diameter on the metal sleeve that you can compare to yours.

Guy

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:24:36 PM by guylr »
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 05:43:51 PM »
Tex, the OD dimension on the 1U4 sprocket damper steel sleeve is 30mm. I can't remember if those are blind holes they press into. If not you can just press them out from behind but if the are blind you'll probably have to distort the sleeves with a chisel then hook them out with a slide hammer. 

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 12:05:54 AM »
Cool, thanks Guy for the info!
I don't know what we would do without you. 😁
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig