Author Topic: Frozen swingarm bolt  (Read 1428 times)

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
Frozen swingarm bolt
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:55:25 PM »
Hi All,
Any thoughts on freeing a frozen SA bolt on a '76?
TIA
John
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: Frozen swingarm bolt
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:29:02 AM »
Remove the grease fitting on the pivot shaft. Loosen the nut a few turns until it's flush with the end of the shaft or add a nut if you need to. Then apply penetrating oil to both ends and at the swingarm shim cover.  Heat at both sides of the frame and whack it with a really big hammer. No, not that hammer, the really big one.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
Re: Frozen swingarm bolt
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »
To follow up... After a couple of weeks of applying PB Blaster liberally and a couple good whacks to vibrate the assembly, the shaft came free without resorting to heat. I really didn't want to apply heat as the frame paint is original and in good shape. I also removed the zerks, swabbed grease out of the bore and squirted PB in there each time. Don't know how much that helped, but it didn't hurt. Went through almost two cans of PB.
The key is patience.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig