Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearings  (Read 1068 times)

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
Rear Wheel Bearings
« on: March 28, 2017, 06:45:20 AM »
So I'm not having any luck pushing the floating spacer out of the way on my '76 rear wheel. I've done it before successfully with a '77 wheel, but that was many years ago...
Any tips or ideas? Off to the machine shop?
TIA
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Jewbacca

• Where the heck is Sequim, WA??
    • Sequim, Washington, US
Re: Rear Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 02:59:22 AM »
Lots of patience. Lots of lube. I think the last one that fought me I soaked in PB Blaster for close to a week and it was still a pain. Is it the bearing that's not moving? I know that those spacers don't leave a lot of room to get a punch on the lip of the bearings to get them out. If you do take it to a shop, just make sure they know to cover/support the wheel and not sit it directly on something metal or else you'll be picking up a scratched or gouged wheel.

If I'm way off on what's happening, post up a pic. (I work in a machine shop and have had to remove several rear wheel bearings and spacers, that's why I asked).
1974 TX500A
I'm unique, just like everyone else.

Offline rumorhazard

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:03:54 AM »
Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to replace the rear wheel bearings on my 76 XS500 and I can't get that spacer tube out at all!!

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:56:17 AM »
Nope. I decided to quit before I ruined something. Bearing seemed fine, I just wanted to grease while it was apart.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig