Author Topic: XS500 - BS38 Issues  (Read 789 times)

Offline Frijec

• KÝbenhavn V
XS500 - BS38 Issues
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »
So I've read almost every post here regarding carburators, ignition and so on.

I've been rebuilding my XS500 through a couple of months and finally getting where I can ride her. But I am having a very specific issue.

It runs really well once I've warmed it up and the plugs looks nice and brown, but here is the deal.

The first 2 kicks ticks over the engine a little, and then it doesn't nothing for a long time. Sometimes it can take as many as 30-40 kicks before life arise from the exhaust. It is almost the same with or without Choke. It comes to life with choke for 2-3 seconds, rise in rpm and then dies. If I remove choke it wont even come to life.

I've checked and rechecked ignition timing, it is the electronic one from Newtronic. They seem to be set correctly as it runs great once it is warm and starts easily then.

The main jet is to 140 and the needle is in 3rd position. But I haven't touched the other jets. Also it doesn't respond much to the Pilot screw.

Does anyone have some idea?

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: XS500 - BS38 Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »
The pilot fuel circuits in your carbs are partially plugged. Clean them again.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline Frijec

• KÝbenhavn V
Re: XS500 - BS38 Issues
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
The pilot fuel circuits in your carbs are partially plugged. Clean them again.

Guy

I've actually had both the carb housing into ultrasonic baths, but I could try and do another thorough carb clean with the proper liquids.

It can't be improper sizing of the other jets? It also pops a little in idle as well as when I do full throttle and back to 0 throttle, it pops a lot.