Author Topic: This old stale forum!  (Read 4343 times)

Offline jimmer

• Administrator
    • Pisgah Forest, N.C. USA
This old stale forum!
« on: June 20, 2017, 02:24:04 AM »
This forum is so slow and lethargic. Should this just go away?😳

Offline tvholstein

Re: This old stale forum!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »
Slow and lethargic? Yes, but also a wealth of info. Do searches on a regular basis.
So would feel like a waste just chucking it in the bin

Offline dankeller

• 1978 xs500
    • toronto, on, canada
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 03:51:45 AM »
I too check in regularly and read through the treasure trove of info that is contained here.  I ask my question when I have one (fortunately I haven't had one in a while). And I like to answer a question if I think I know the answer (unfortunately it's not often that I know the answer). I certainly like to read the answers posted by the other, more knowledgable members.

So no, I do not want to see this go away. I really like this, and I would be sad if this was no more.

Dan

Offline dave835

• Nevada , U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
  I check up on this forum nearly every day , and usually wait for someone's answer for awhile before chiming in . If something goes un-answered for a while and I have something to contribute , I will try to help . I  believe everyone
on this forum should answer questions when they can , not leave it to a small group of (so called) experts !
  Frankly , I am surprised by how many people are interested in maintaining and resurrecting these old bikes!
I have kept mine around so long because of it giving me the confidence to get out on the race track back in 1976 and
for staying under me during the wildest riding I have ever done . If a motorcycle ever had a soul , this one does !

Dave ...

Offline jimmer

• Administrator
    • Pisgah Forest, N.C. USA
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 01:38:46 AM »
Good deal,people are still pulling info from here.👍

Offline Pearmain

• Slough, Berkshire, UK.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »
I look at this site most day. Even setup as a favourite on my works desktop. (and had to get special permissions from IT).
Without this site's world of knowledge. My bike would still be in bits and I would be in bits.   

Offline Vince

• Alberta, Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »
Without this forum, I'm 100% positive that I would still be struggling with re-build issues. When I stumbled onto this forum over two years ago, I thought I hit pay-dirt! I couldn't be more grateful for the help from admin and members. Because of this forum, the whole resurrection process of my ride went extremely well. The knowledge gained from my learned friends is without a doubt what we are here for! The little tweaks, the adjustments, the processes discussed will never be found in text, or manuals. We rely on your experience and expertise! To end it now would be criminal (just saying). Jim, you got the ball rolling for me........ I hate to see it stop for others!

Vince

Offline ken01

• Western Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:45 PM »
Well said Vince... I'd like to say 'ditto' and that I love surfing this site and picking up tips and info, looking at other other people's bikes and hearing of what went right and what didn't. I love the fact there are people on this site that are not only willing but do freely help out others by sharing their knowledge and experience, salt of the earth types. It'll be a sad day when and if this site ceases to be.

Ken

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
This forum is so slow and lethargic. Should this just go away?😳

Interesting challenge jimmer.

I do not visit as often as I used to.  At this time although I have several XS500's in deep storage and a significant amount of spare parts, my focus recently is on other marques and bikes.  Some may not be aware of the history of this forum- which started as a blog, before moving to Proboards as a free forum, before finally moving to this platform.  At that time the founder Admins started to drift away, and by default I was left holding the baby so to speak.  I pay for the hosting, update the software, approve new members and do what tidying up needs to be done.  On my own and when I can....

We live in a world of people cruising the internet and demanding information, help, etc. immediately and without any commitment from themselves.  This is where this forum ended up.  Only 5-10 members posting and helping the incessant demands of new TX/XS500 owners, who- once they gained the information they needed- buggered off.  There are over 1000 members on this forum, but 540 have never posted a single hello, and only 37 members have over 50 posts.  Pathetic.  Those 540 who have never contributed to the community presumably found the answers to the oil filter problem, balancer, camchain, timing, etc. that all new owners hit.

For me, I decided to back off and let some others chip in- it seemed that only a very few like myself, guylr, dean and a couple of others ever offered help.  I run a  very busy operation that needs to pay my bills that is unrelated to XS500's.  And most importantly and already mentioned above- a lot of the questions had already been discussed and answered.  A simple search is all that is needed.  In fact I have actually searched out my own articles and posts from years ago to refresh my own memory.  Amusingly- some of the advice offered on the Facebook page for these bikes is my own work plagarised- which is OK I guess.  But some of the advice is just plain bollocks- so not so good.

So make of this forum what you will- but people need to contribute.  I have no plans to remove it, despite the lack of assistance and financial backing- the work on here is not mine.
1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »
I must say I have gathered so much information from this site and have been trying to answer some posts and help others out but it is difficult when i post some things and get no responses. Just disappointing and worries me that people are losing interest in these amazing bikes.

Offline nk140

• Indiana
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
I am loving this forum for its wealth of information.  I just wish more posted up.  I may start a rebuild thread of my TX, but I doubt many people would see it.

Offline Jewbacca

• Where the heck is Sequim, WA??
    • Sequim, Washington, US
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 06:16:38 AM »
In my opinion, sites that are specific to a single model or brand are being replaced by general interest sites and Facebook pages. But this site, and the wealth of knowledge in it, are invaluable for those of us who have a soft spot for unloved, unpopular old machines. Once I get my butt motivated again to start digging in grease, I'll be on here all the time again to help with putting it back together.
1974 TX500A
I'm unique, just like everyone else.

Online Garn

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 11:57:35 PM »
CrouchyUK, keep up the good work for this forum. I always check in to see what's happening. It's a valuable site and invaluable, if you are new to this great little machine.
RegardZ.
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline quietspud

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 01:55:08 AM »
Have found so much good, useful information here. Wish I had more experience, advice, and know how to offer to the community.

Thanks for hosting and helping out.

Offline gentlemanjim

• South Florida
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 05:55:04 AM »
There is so little active participation.  Not much current look at the dates on postings.  Is there a more active site for these bikes?