Author Topic: Interior Gas Tank Cleaner  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Roadviking

• Green Bay Wisconsin USA
Interior Gas Tank Cleaner
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:58:17 AM »
Hi. I'm lazy and don't wanna search until my eye's bleed. My 74 TX500 needs the interior of the tank cleaned and sealed. Aside from all the quick solutions on YouTube, will somebody recommend an over the counter kit?  I have looked at POR 15, KBS, Kreem, Red Kote, etc. What have you used?  Does it last?  What in the hell do I plug the fuel petcock holes with?

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
Re: Interior Gas Tank Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:20:08 AM »
I've had good results using muriatic acid and a cup of small nuts to clean/prep. Used the Kreem kit to etch and seal. Drilled lids from old school metal band-aid boxes to bolt on in place of the petcocks, used some thin sheet rubber from the local hardware store to seal. I have a few steel tanks with 20-25 year old Kreem in decent condition, but the Kreem has discolored. Go slow, clean and dry well and get as much "extra" Kreem out of the tank as you can.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:23:00 AM by TexRex »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
Re: Interior Gas Tank Cleaner
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »
The 74 Tx500 fuel tanks were very prone to rusting and both petrol cocks clogging.
I used POR 15 with great success, the hardest part was rotating it to get internal coverage... Last done some 5 years ago.

Some other info on tank is that I thought my tank must have been repainted at some stage, this was considered as the tank had much orange-peel on the paintwork.
I was advised, by this forum that "that's the way they came from factory!".. How TRUE!!
My painter found that the orange peel effect was on the "clear coat" only and it was a simple matter of just a slight sanding back and re-clear coating to revealed a beautiful "Bird Blue" enamel.
RegardZ
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:44:51 AM by Garn »
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia