Author Topic: Duel Brake splitter  (Read 915 times)

Offline kliggs

• london ont canada
Duel Brake splitter
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:01 PM »
Hello from Canada

I would like to change my 500 from a signal brake to a duel brake on the front . Was there or is there still a duel brake splitter I can use from another bike that will fit without to much modification

thank you for you time
e-mail is: skye72@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:34:26 PM by kliggs »

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: Duel Brake splitter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Your bike is now in the registry and thanks for supplying the serial number.

About the dual front disc parts. The splitter you are looking for is a 341-25873-10-00, JOINT.  You will of course need the dual caliper master cylinder that has a larger piston bore. You can see the parts that were used with the 1976 XS650C that are similar except that year had the calipers on the backside of the fork sliders. Here's the Yamaha US parts page for it.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/parts/star-mcy?ls=Star&dealernumber=#/Yamaha/XS650C_-_1976/DOUBLE_DISC_BRAKE_XS650C

Yamaha Canada unfortunately doesn't go back that far on their parts lookup.

About the oil cooler I really question the need for it in Canada and with modern synthetic oils. The bikes lived pretty well even on the old stuff as long as it was changed often and you didn't ride in Arizona in the summertime. I know it looks cool(er) but it won't make the bike into 1/2 of an R1.

Keep us up on your progress with the bike.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline wilberforce

• Tyneside, UK.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:16:59 PM »
I got a 2nd hand caliper, master cylinder, and brake disc that was from an XS1100 and some new Goodridge brake hose as well as a few new olives to seal it all together.  It works a treat, when the bike runs, but is a bit severe so be careful if you go down this route.
One of the Boys from the Wall.
XS500E - 1978 vintage
Aprillia Shiver 750 - 3,600 miles.
Moto Guzzi Breva V750ie - 2005 vintage - sold.

Offline kliggs

• london ont canada
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:22:55 PM »
Hi Guys

The reason for the oil cooler is simple and you are right I was looking for that cool factor. I have shown the bike a few times up here in Canada and it has always done well. I even had six VIP from Yamaha Canada look at the bike and go and I quote " I haven't seen one of those bike's in a very long time "  so yes the oil cooler is for the cool effect LOL

Thank for the part number for the duel brake conversion by the way :)

Kevin