Author Topic: LED flasher relay - TX500  (Read 563 times)

Offline bradcj85

• Yonkers
LED flasher relay - TX500
« on: February 17, 2018, 03:41:48 AM »
Updating the blinkers on my 63 tx500. When I required the blinkers go on but donít flash. They just stay lit.

After doing some digging I found that I may have to update the flasher relay to accommodate the update to LED

Anyone have any suggestions on a relay that will work?

Offline ken01

• Western Australia
Re: LED flasher relay - TX500
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
I had similar difficulties with my TX500. Even with an LED relay, they wouldn't work.... With a normal relay both sides stayed on permanently (I believe the LED's draw such a low current, the bike was thinking a globe was blown and was trying to let me know). With an LED relay, I got nothing... .

I ended up using two 21 watt load resistors (one on each of the rear indicators/flasher wires) and then, all was good.

I had a similar situation with the stop/tail light when I replaced that with an LED. The 'stop' light on the instrument cluster would continue to flash indicating a blown globe. Again, a 21 watt load resistor on the tail/stop light wire, and Bob's your uncle and all was working.....  (I can't remember if I put the load resistor on the  tail light wire or the stoplight wire - I do know I got it wrong the first time around).

Hope that helps

Ken
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:52:16 PM by ken01 »

Offline bradcj85

• Yonkers
Re: LED flasher relay - TX500
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 04:59:46 AM »
So I figured it was worth a shot because the led flasher relay I found was super cheap. I had to rewire so the +, -, and L lines so they lined up properly but it worked and I'm blinking like a pro

So if anyone is installing one of those tail light strips on an early 70s TX, look on Amazon for an LED specific blinker relay (mine was $15), make sure the lines line up, and you should be good to go