Author Topic: New member new XS500 owner  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Joffa1

• Melbourne, VIC. Australia
New member new XS500 owner
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »
Hi all, after searching far and wide Iíve finally found myself a 1976 XS500 for restoration. Not a runner but looks to be complete and with some spares. Seem to be a very rare bike in Australia so glad I finally found one. Had to do a 1000km round trip to get it and unloading a 200 plus kilo bike with non functioning brakes by myself was not fun! Somehow managed to do it without dropping her though.

Very excited to start restoring/modifying it. Absolutely love the shape and original colour. At this stage plan is to get it running and strip it right back for a repaint of frame and general tidy up. Going to keep it fairly original looking with a tidy up of the rear end.

I think first thing Iíll do is get the front brakes sorted so I can safely roll it down my driveway to where I want to do all the work on it. Any tips on where to start... Iím thinking new braided lines, pads, new fluid. What about the calipers... are there rebuild kits? Not even sure they need it but assuming the worst as she has sat for a while...

Anyway looking forward to becoming apart of the community and learning as much as I can... any other members from Australia on here?

Offline Joffa1

Re: New member new XS500 owner
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »
Hi Guy the serial number I can see on the bike is 1J8 -  003379

Silly question where do au find the manufacture date? Havenít been able to see a plate or anything...

Offline anveville

• France
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:06:33 AM »
Nice bike!

Please keep us informed of the refurbishement and do not hesitate to post pictures!

I suggest you buy a parts list (a link to a free parts list is also somewhere on the forum) ; you should then note all the parts you need, and look for them on the web.

Many common parts are available... brakes refurbishement should not be an issue!

Offline anveville

• France
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »
Awesome link! Thanks for that. Anyone know if there were any Australian delivered examples or if they were all imports?

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 08:07:16 AM »
Nice pick up. Good to see another Aussie on the forum. My brakes were siezed too so went with a rebuild kit for master, single braided line and reproduction caliper from mikesxs. They give the option of banjo or hardline fitting to caliper. These bikes were delivered to Aus.
CMNSL is an awesome tool. Parts are scarce in Aus but abundant in Uk and US.
Another tip to finding parts in Aus is to remember they share lots of parts with xs 650's and rd's of the same era, this is where CMNSL is gold with cross reference of part numbers.

Online guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
The North American models had the month/year printed on the steering head label that you can see at the top of the Registry list. Other markets did not get the assembly date so you don't need to worry about that.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Online guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »
I finally got you into the registry. Sorry, my wife and I have had quite a few projects up in the air that have kept me busy in my retirement. I did take the liberty of correcting your Primary ID number because your bike is for sure not a 1976 YZ125 (1J8) but rather a 1J3 XS500. You have to keep that great stock green color. We only got brown and black here in the states while OZ got the interesting colors. I notice your bike also has dual front brakes which is something we also didn't get as stock. Keep us up on you progress.

Guy

Offline Norton

• Tampa
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 12:48:00 PM »
Congratulations on an excellent find and candidate for a beautiful restoration project. A suggestion for releasing the dragging break pads is to loosen the banjo bolt fitting at the caliper itself to release pressure. We know at this point rebuilding the caliper is inevitable. Apply pressure to the exterior of the caliper itself to separate the brake pads slightly. This will allow you to remove the caliper without damage to any of its components. Once the caliper is away from the disc rotor. It is hopeful your master cylinder is operable enough to use the brake lever to apply pressure to the caliper to assist. Be sure you have fluid in the front reservoir. This will allow you to pump brake fluid into the caliper and move the caliper pistons to the maximum distance outward. The caliper itself can now be separated to remove the pistons for cleaning and rebuilding with new seal replacement. If you would visit www.mikesxs.net you will find an array of items for your XS500. You can contact their customer service team for all your technical questions.
Definitely enjoy the build and the Austrailian yellow, green combination has always been a favorite.

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
Nice one guys thanks for all the valuable info. Really dig the colour scheme too just screams late 70s. Looking forward to getting stuck in to it. Brakes will be first followed by rebuild of the carbies. Can people confirm the later XS650 front discs will work with this bike... I read somewhere else that they are 5mm thick and a bit lighter than the XS500 setup?

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 08:16:28 AM »
Right you are Guy 1J3 it is!

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
Sitting in her new home...

Offline anveville

• France
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »
Thanks for the picture!

Nice bike... In France we would say this bike is "dans son jus", which can be translated literally by "in its juice".

That means an original bike, with a nice patina...

Great find!

Online guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 02:17:54 PM »
They fit.

Guy

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 05:58:51 AM »
Great thanks Guy. Yeah Iím a fan of original looking bikes that are mechanically good but appear a little rough around the edges. Got the rough part going just need to work on the mechanical!