Author Topic: Hello friends!  (Read 111 times)

Offline greaseorbounce

• Missouri, USA
Hello friends!
« on: April 17, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »
Hey! First off, a short intro! I'm Ian. As a fun aside, the screen name comes from my other hobby, which is flying small aircraft. "grease or bounce" refers to getting the landing perfect, or bouncing. The name gets a lot of funny questions on motorcycle forums, but it just follows me from my airplane forums. Ian is fine.

I have joined the club. The fleet has gained a very rough '73 TX500. The thing has been passed around like a ....... well yeah, let's just say there have been a number of previous owners.

Somewhere along the way someone did a Brat conversion, and in the process a restoration that was entirely 'not awful'. It was repainted clearly, and was definitely stripped down. No creampuff, and no hope of ever being original or restored, but should make for a fun town bike and maybe entertaining to ride in a parade or two.

I got a very good deal on it, and so I took my chances. It ran, though only barely. As part of the 'conversion' they put a pair of Mikuni VM32s on it. Two left-side VM32s.... Ugh. Compression is good, spark is good, but it runs "rough at best." I am inclined to think that sorting out the carbs would likely get us decent results.

I have not pulled the head to see if it suffers the infamous cracked head issues, and I am inclined to leave it alone unless I absolutely have to pull it. Though that may be sooner than later, because it appears that some ham-handed 'mechanic' did a number on the left-side spark plug threads. It may end up being a helicoil candidate.

I'm not willing to dump much money into it, as it is mostly just a toy, and not really something I have taken on as a large-scale project, but all of that could change.

If any of you have any idea of jetting baselines for the vm32 on these bikes I would LOVE to hear them. I don't even really have a starting point to work off of, and it's clearly a mess. The right plug was black and sooty, and the left plug was good or if anything just a little lean. I'm gonna yank the carbs off and clean them out and figure out what jets are currently there.

Also, the bike currently doesn't have any vacuum ports that I could find on quick inspection, so I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to balance these. I suppose the old "feel the exhaust" stunt should get me close, but I might try to install a bung.

Here's a picture for some entertainment. I would love suggestions or opinions on path forward. I work on a lot of bikes, but I'm brand new to the TX/XS500.

Hope to make some friends around here!

Cheers!
-Ian

Attempt to post a picture: (if someone can tell me how to scale this, I would love to fix it! o.O)

Offline anveville

• France
Re: Hello friends!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
Hello Ian!

Great introduction, and great bike, too, even if it needs TLC!

Welcome here.

You are at the right place to get all information needed.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
Re: Hello friends!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »
Welcome to the TX community, looks like a great starting point. She was obviously loved by the previous owners.