Author Topic: Stainless brake lines, 73 TX500  (Read 371 times)

Offline mittennorth

• Michigan
Stainless brake lines, 73 TX500
« on: May 04, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »
Does anyone have a lead or any experience with finding stainless brake lines to replace the rubber hose portions of the lines for 73 TX500s? I know there's a thread that talks about converting it from the multi-piece setup that it is stock, but for someone interested in keeping the stock setup for simplicity sake and just replacing the rubber with stainless, is there anything viable out there?

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
Re: Stainless brake lines, 73 TX500
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 10:14:32 PM »
When I went through this process I couldn't find anything off the shelf. HEL and other manufacturers will do custom lines for whatever length or fitting you specify.
I just went with single braided line with pressure switch in the master cylinder banjo. I saw the original setup as complicated if only one disk is used.

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 12:57:16 AM »
I had a local hydraulic shop make lines for mine using info provided by berniebee:

http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=391.0

I run superbike bend bars and the line is perfect.

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline mittennorth

• Michigan
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:27:30 PM »
I had a local hydraulic shop make lines for mine using info provided by berniebee:

http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=391.0

I run superbike bend bars and the line is perfect.

Are the specs that berniebee provided compatible with 73 TX's?  As a rookie, what is the best way to verify this, especially if I have to order them if I cannot find a shop locally to do them.

When I went through this process I couldn't find anything off the shelf. HEL and other manufacturers will do custom lines for whatever length or fitting you specify.
I just went with single braided line with pressure switch in the master cylinder banjo. I saw the original setup as complicated if only one disk is used.

mvluv13, was there anything specific to this setup spec-wise to look out for?  I agree that the stock setup seems a bit...overdone, and if a single line for my single disc brake will be more simple to acquire and install, I'm most definitely willing.  I just am in the dark on how to go about getting the setup custom made.