Author Topic: Air filter help???  (Read 517 times)

Offline Joffa1

• Melbourne, VIC. Australia
Air filter help???
« on: May 13, 2018, 04:06:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately  the xs500c I bought is missing the air filter... housing is there but nothing inside. I want to run the stock carbs and airbox for easy tuning.

Does anyone have a spare they can sell me or know where I can purchase one? Iíve seen this on eBay but not entirely sure if itís correct one?

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-TX500-Air-Filter-Element-371-14451-02-00-Air-Cleaner-XS500-Aftermarket/182591398979?epid=1606203101&hash=item2a834ba443:g:U~wAAOSwCGVX5Jjk

Thanks so much for your help.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: Air filter help???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »
Remove the old foam from the filter frame you have a glue new filter foam to it. The outer foam socks used with MX models is one place to find foam or lawn mower filters.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline TexRex

• Fort Worth, Texas USA
    • Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 03:01:38 AM »
http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=395.0

Yamaha part # 34L-14451-00
or
Uni-Filter NU-2285ST

I went with the Uni and am quite pleased with it. Bonus; extra filter material to make intake filters for the air compressor.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:09:09 AM »
Sorry what I mean is I just have the black plastic housing or whatever you want to call it that the filter sits in. Does that make sense? As in I donít have the actual metal mesh filter housing to wrap the foam onto...

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:12:53 AM »
As in I need the part on the left in this blurry screen shot

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »
Anyone?

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 02:34:34 AM »
Caution. The NOS element I bought a few years ago for my 500C looked good but the foam fell into dust as soon as I touched it. It came from Speed & Sport and they made good on it by refunding my money. Make sure this seller will too.

Guy

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 03:15:50 AM »
Ok thanks yeah apparently the foam even on NOS will be junk now. Kind of expecting that but I need the actual metal body of the filter so I can get something happening. But looking at that eBay price maybe I should just go to pod filters and setup carbs to suit...

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
Pods are asking for trouble. They don't tend to play well with CV type carbs and can require many hours (days) of jetting experiments to get them right or just close to right. Before that I'd consider just removing the top of the stock airbox, covering it with a sheet of filter foam and some more over the two inlet ducts at the back of the box. It will probably run fine with stock jetting or maybe one step higher on the main jets. For the top opening you could even fashion a piece out of screen to support the foam and screw into the existing holes.

Guy

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
Yeah I have been reading up on CV carbs and pods and does not sound like fun! Interesting ideas you have there... Iíve actually got lucky and found an air filter on eBay. The foam is long gone but the rest of the mesh body is there so Iíve bought it.

I am just assuming the 77 filter will fit a 76???? Hope so!

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »
This one...

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:34 AM »

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 08:15:59 PM »
Yep. CV carbs like to be fed intake air by a plenum and smooth pipe to the bellmouth.  Pods like these filter the air but introduce turbulence at the intake that confuses the vacuum signal at the vent in the top of the bellmouth  that causes the slide to raise and lower. So, a lot of times you end up with unsteady slide movement that feels like hesitation and surging. If you must run pods you'll be happier if you convert to round slide carbs without butterfies.

Guy

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
Ok  thanks again for your help. I have bought that original filter off eBay so am going to keep everything stock and get the bike up and running with the BS38s.