Author Topic: Flywheel puller?  (Read 874 times)

Offline nk140

• Indiana
Flywheel puller?
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:15:55 PM »
What size bolt is needed to pull the fly wheel?  I thought I had a bad starter or the starter chain was skipping but it turns out that the starter gear is skipping.  I assume it is worn or the dowels are worn but want to pull the flywheel before I buy parts.

Offline nk140

• Indiana
Re: Flywheel puller?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 08:21:11 PM »

Online guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 12:41:17 AM »
From here that looks more like slipping starter clutch which is very common on that era bike. Try rebuilding it with new springs and dowels.

Guy
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:43:33 AM by guylr »
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline nk140

• Indiana
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 01:42:36 AM »
From here that looks more like slipping starter clutch which is very common on that era bike. Try rebuilding it with new springs and dowels.

Guy

That is what I meant.  Do you happen to know what size bolt for removing the flywheel?  I see a flywheel puller bolt on ebay right now but it is overseas and they want over $30 for it.

Offline nk140

• Indiana
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
Wanted to share the bike running.  She is a 1-2 kick starter but want a electric start.

Offline CallaghanWilliams

• Winston-Salem NC
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:10:52 PM »
When the left side covers come off, is there oil in there? Do I need to drain it before I go after the starter mechanism, Mine is making the same slipping noise that yours is in the first video.

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:03:02 PM »
Hi there Callaghan yes you will need to drain the oil before removing the left engine cover which houses the starter clutch. Do you have a manual for this bike ? As this would provide some of the answers you will need . Also the articles on this site as nk140 , myself and others have done this repair.

Offline nk140

• Indiana
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 02:48:04 PM »
Definitely drain the oil.  Don't be like me and pull the cover and dump oil all over the garage floor.  The repair is very easy once the flywheel is off.  I had to buy the repair kit from the UK.

Offline dave835

• Nevada , U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 07:29:09 PM »
  I didn't see anyone chime in on the puller bolt size ; it is 16mm x 1.5 thread pitch . I use an idler arm pivot bolt from a late 70's Mercedes , but you can probably find an appropriate bolt from a fastener supply company . Good luck with your project .

Dave

Offline CallaghanWilliams

• Winston-Salem NC
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 10:58:07 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'm hunting carb intake boots at the moment. Unknown to me the guy I bought the bike from did a little a bit of hacking and the boots that are on the intake have been cut. He also put electronic ignition, different coils and carbs from an 76 xs500 on the bike so the research is a little more complicated. Those parts I knew he changed, but this is my first vintage bike and the learning curve has been a little steep since it left me stranded a couple weeks ago.