Author Topic: Oil not getting to the top of the engine.  (Read 878 times)

Offline Onlyboards

• Carbondale, CO USA
Oil not getting to the top of the engine.
« on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:15 PM »
Hey guys, I'm new to the board but not to this bike.  I recently installed the oem 20mm oil adapter on my  1978 500e and did a new oil change with filter and I started her up and bam.  Lots of ticking in the top of the engine.  I used to have a small oil leak which would seep some oil onto my exhaust from the valve cover gasket and it no longer does that.  Theyre is also no oil vapor coming out the valve cover vent hole which used to split into the original airbox (I'm running pods now).  I think my oil pump has stopped doing its job.  I know that the tach cable runs off the gearing for the oil pump, and my tach cable is working.  My oil pressure light is not on.  so it has pressure once running ( at least down low).

I can start it up, but its harder to kick than usual.  I can ride it for about a mile and the thing starts bogging.   I think its getting hot from lack of oil because when I try to kick it again after it stalls, the thing wont move.  its like it's seized.   as soon as the engine cools down, if i kick the shit out of it she starts up.   

spark fuel  all good.  just rebuilt carbs.    why would just the top end not be getting oil?   I think this thing is on the verge of seizing permanently.

Adapter is installed correctly.  should I try to flush the oil passages?  the oil was pretty nasty when I got her, and someone was clearly reusing an oriiginal 22mm filter over and over.   It just sucks that I'm finally taking care of the oil system and it takes a dump on me.

My mechanical knowledge is pretty solid.   

the question again is why would just the top end be not getting oil?   any help would be greatly appreciated.

onlyboards

Offline Onlyboards

• Carbondale, CO USA
Re: Oil not getting to the top of the engine.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »
I also have an original shop manual which gives a diagram of the oil flow but isnt very detailed.  I think the passages are clogged shut.  it's the only answer i can think of, otherwise i'd have my low oil pressure light on.

Offline Onlyboards

• Carbondale, CO USA
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 12:36:25 AM »
Ok, so an update I removed and reinstalled my oil feeder tube, making sure the banjo bolts weren't clogged, started the engine and oil spit out of it thru the tube.   So flow is not a problem, but still no oil to the top end.    I did notice when I removed the upper banjo bolt it was a little clogged.  Could it be clogged past the banjo bolt, I'm guessing it is. Any thoughts?  Wondering what the next place past the oil feeder tube it could be clogged.

What should my next step be.   An engine oil flush?

Offline Onlyboards

• Carbondale, CO USA
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 12:38:43 AM »
Or should I just bite the bullet and remove the valve cover to inspect.

Offline Onlyboards

• Carbondale, CO USA
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 12:40:04 AM »
Thnx for any input you guys might have.

Offline Onlyboards

• Carbondale, CO USA
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 01:06:25 AM »
I just know that with the fact that it heats up so fast, makes a ton of noise up top, no oil vapor comes thru valve cover breather when I put it at 3000rpm, and then it's a bitch to kick after it stalls,    the passages are clogged somewhere.

Offline Onlyboards

• Carbondale, CO USA
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 12:26:05 AM »
Bump

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 03:47:21 AM »
Take the engine apart and inspect it. There is no magic answer for the symptoms you have.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline cpt.Chavez

• Dubuque Iowa u.s.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »
My wife is having the same problem with her bike. If we figure it out before you do, I'll let you know. I see there's not a lot of feedback on this thread.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 05:41:38 AM »
You already have damage or will have soon if no oil is getting up there. You will have to pull the engine and check all oil paths in the head.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »
That's because the symptom is not common and indicates a serious problem that shouldn't be guessed at. You're dealing with bikes that left the factory 40+ years ago and have lived all sorts of lives since then. Some have been cared for and some abused. To fix an oil supply problem you'll need to take the engine down far enough to find the cause.

Guy

Offline Onlyboards

• Carbondale, CO USA
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 11:26:10 PM »
thnx everyone. sorry for the late reply.  turns out one piston was cracked and one had a hole burned into the top.  the seizing symptoms were probably due to heat and expansion inside the cylinder by the piston.  which explains why it was hard to kick when hot and ran fine when cool.  anyway the engine is torn down and im still trying to find a matching os piston set for this bike.  i dont care which oversize it is i just need two that are matching.  i can find one of every size piston on ebay, but no pairs!  i posted in for sale and wanted and havent had any luck.  looking for the 2f1 precursor piston designation manufactured ONLY for the 1978e.  anyhelp would be great.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »
Speed and Sport has 2F1 pistons and rings in 1st and 2nd oversized. Not cheap but in stock.

http://store.speedandsportinc.com/index.tpl

Guy

Offline Onlyboards

• Carbondale, CO USA
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »
thank you soooooo much!!!!!!