Author Topic: Flywheel puller?  (Read 768 times)

Offline nk140

• Indiana
Flywheel puller?
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:15:55 PM »
What size bolt is needed to pull the fly wheel?  I thought I had a bad starter or the starter chain was skipping but it turns out that the starter gear is skipping.  I assume it is worn or the dowels are worn but want to pull the flywheel before I buy parts.

Offline nk140

• Indiana
Re: Flywheel puller?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 08:21:11 PM »

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 12:41:17 AM »
From here that looks more like slipping starter clutch which is very common on that era bike. Try rebuilding it with new springs and dowels.

Guy
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:43:33 AM by guylr »
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline nk140

• Indiana
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 01:42:36 AM »
From here that looks more like slipping starter clutch which is very common on that era bike. Try rebuilding it with new springs and dowels.

Guy

That is what I meant.  Do you happen to know what size bolt for removing the flywheel?  I see a flywheel puller bolt on ebay right now but it is overseas and they want over $30 for it.

Offline nk140

• Indiana
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
Wanted to share the bike running.  She is a 1-2 kick starter but want a electric start.

Offline CallaghanWilliams

• Winston-Salem NC
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:10:52 PM »
When the left side covers come off, is there oil in there? Do I need to drain it before I go after the starter mechanism, Mine is making the same slipping noise that yours is in the first video.

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:03:02 PM »
Hi there Callaghan yes you will need to drain the oil before removing the left engine cover which houses the starter clutch. Do you have a manual for this bike ? As this would provide some of the answers you will need . Also the articles on this site as nk140 , myself and others have done this repair.

Offline nk140

• Indiana
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 02:48:04 PM »
Definitely drain the oil.  Don't be like me and pull the cover and dump oil all over the garage floor.  The repair is very easy once the flywheel is off.  I had to buy the repair kit from the UK.

Offline dave835

• Nevada , U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 07:29:09 PM »
  I didn't see anyone chime in on the puller bolt size ; it is 16mm x 1.5 thread pitch . I use an idler arm pivot bolt from a late 70's Mercedes , but you can probably find an appropriate bolt from a fastener supply company . Good luck with your project .

Dave