Author Topic: Hot coils  (Read 415 times)

Offline The gizmo

• Pennsylvania
Hot coils
« on: September 08, 2018, 02:57:13 AM »
Following the wiring diagram to a T and testing power out of the turn signal switch I have 12v st the wire end. When I plug it in to the connector to send it to the rear and relay it no longer has power. Coincidentally enough when this is happening i also notice that either coil will get very hot. Not sure if the symptom is related. All the grounds and feed wires seem ok. What am I missing?

Offline The gizmo

• Pennsylvania
Re: Hot coils
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 04:00:20 AM »
Update- the coil(s) are getting when plugged into the condensor and the breaker.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 09:16:53 PM »
The coils will get hot with ignition on and the engine not turning over. They have no opportunity to discharge and will be charging until the engine turns.

Offline The gizmo

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 01:31:30 AM »
Ah. Gotchya. So basically it just depends on where the points land when the engine shuts off. I took the points cover off and saw that one was making contact and used the kick start to turn the engine until neither were touching. Key on and and nothing got hot. So that leaves the problem still with the power dropping at the turn signal leads. I think that perhaps the connectors the bullet connectors go into may just need to be cleaned with a wire brush of sorts. Is there a specific name for those junction pieces the bullet connectors go into?

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:53:18 PM »
With the points contact open the respective coil is charging and generating heat. The type of connectors are male and female bullet connectors.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 12:33:49 PM »
You got that backwards. A battery ignition coil as used on the 500 flows current when the points (breakers) are closed. This creates a magnetic field in the primary coil that fluxes through the secondary side. When the points open breaking the circuit the field collapses and induces a strong current flow out of the secondary.  So the coils get hotter only when the points are closed and battery current is flowing and are actually cooling down during the point open period.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »
I stand corrected, thanks Guy.