Author Topic: Newby, just bought two XS500ís  (Read 663 times)

Offline 36cycles

• NSW, Australia
Newby, just bought two XS500ís
« on: September 08, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »
Hi All,

Just joined your forum as I have just purchased 2 lovely ladies, a 1971 and s 1975 XS500.

I am particularly in love with the olive green one, I can see traces of the original green colour it was kind of metallic lime.... I love the fadded worn out olive colour so I think Iíll just it alone.

I reckon the price was a steal, I paid $350 Australian dollars for them, no motors but....still the bikes are in complete condition down to the original keys for the ignition tank and seat.... the silver one even has what looks like an optioned luggage rack.

Just got to find an engine now....

Let the journey begin I guess.

Offline mvluv13

• Brisbane Australia
Re: Newby, just bought two XS500ís
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232293234697
Welcome, that's a steal for Australia. The above motor has been listed for 6+ months.

Offline 36cycles

• NSW, Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »
Cheets for that, Iím currently negotiating with that guy....

It looks all there, hoping itís in good shape... :)

Offline Vince

• Alberta, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »
Engines are hard to find here in Canada as well! But persistence pays off! I found a good 77' as a rescue engine with carbs for $100. I only needed the elusive one piece head for my 78'. $850 seems awfully high for that 73', unless it was rebuilt. Grind him a lot, and maybe he'll budge! Good luck.

Offline 36cycles

• NSW, Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
I was given some engine covers with the bikes... can you send s pic of this elusive 1 piece head and Iíll have a look... yeah the price is high negotiated to $650 not too many options out there and at least this one is all in one piece everything else I have been looking at has been pulled apart or already in pieces.... fingered crossed that this 18000 km claim is correct and it is in good condition.

Why I have I started another  project I am not sure but for some reason I just fell in love with it after bringing it home.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »
Why did you need a new head for your 78? They came with the one piece head. Did it crack?.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline Vince

• Alberta, Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »
No cracks Guy! The previous owner had installed the wrong reach of spark plug punching/burning a hole in a piston. The resulting debris got into the oil pump and intake camshaft and bearing by the tunnel. The pump piled up, snapping the tachometer drive axle, and the camshaft, bearing and cap were heavily scored. I ended up totally rebuilding the engine in the chance there could have been more aluminum crumbs in her! Needless to say, a little catastrophic! Some minor scoring was found in the cylinder barrels as well, so I had them re-bored to one over. A fresh set of pistons and rings, all new gaskets and a host of various parts made her whole again. I was also lucky to score an OEM oil filter adapter! I resurrected her from the dead after her 35 year rest!

Just want to add that this forum made the whole process 100% easier! Thanks guys!

Vince

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 01:19:44 AM »
Ouch! Lots of work there 🔧

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"