Author Topic: Just wont run, white smoke from exhaust?  (Read 3488 times)

Online guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: Just wont run, white smoke from exhaust?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 02:48:32 PM »
If both pistons have that skirt clearance then you are OK to reuse the pistons if they aren't scuffed badly. Did the tech measure the piston skirt 10mm from the bottom? What's the end gap on the original rings? How many miles on this engine?

The exhaust seats don't look so good in the photo. If they don't clean up with a light lapping you should have them recut. How about the valves themselves? Any pitting or burning?

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
I haven't touched the seats yet but am hoping to get to that tonight and will throw up some pics afterwords. I had 96 pistons in mine and ended up getting the 97 pistons and new rings for this to hopefully take down that gap a little bit.

Engine has 6700 miles on it and the tech followed the exact procedure in the manual as I brought it with me and gave it to him :p

The valves has a ton of burnt on carbon but otherwise I don't see any pitting or burning. Will hopefully have more pictures up tonight and thank you for all your help.

*ill also get end gap on the rings tonight*

Online guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 06:00:15 PM »
Don't worry if the new rings end gaps are at the top of spec. Yamahas tend to come that way.

Guy

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »
Just tried lapping the valves, didnt work too great so will be getting them recut and bead blasted. Got the pistons (thanks crouchy!) and going to put on the rings now. Honed the cylinder already

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 10:54:28 PM »
So im putting the rings on now and the xs500e pistons. i got the standard rings for the tx500 but it seems like the top two rings are too thick to go into the groove? Am i doing something wrong or what?

Online guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 04:20:21 AM »
Are you actually installing the rings or just sticking the outer edge into the ring grooves to see if they fit?  For the life of me I can't remember if the 500 rings are the tapered keystone type that are thicker at the outside edge. Check the ring section profiles to see if they are tapered. It can be very slight. The taper allows gas pressure from under the piston to force the ring out and down for better sealing.

Guy

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »
I compared these with a set of STD xs500e rings and these are definetly thicker than those rings and dont appear to have a taper. I tried to install them to see if they would fit when installed and they wont fit in the groove. Only thing I could think of is if these are mis-labeled and not standard rings or if tx500 rings wont fit the higher compression xs500e rings.

Regardless, i ordered a set of the 2f1 xs500e rings and should be here this week. Valves should be back next week and get this buttoned up and ready to go

Online guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »
Still in factory boxes? The 371 parts are supposed to interchange with the 2F1 rings but something is up. I'll see if I can find a set of 2F1 to measure.

Guy

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 05:27:11 PM »
Yea still in the box as seen here

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »
Quick probably dumb question: is the middle and top ring the same? Or how do you differentiate which is which if they are different?

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
bump

Online guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 02:42:18 AM »
Sorry, I was at the Barber Vintage Festival and just saw your question. The top ring has "NPR" stamped on it and the second ring has "N". Install them with the stamped letters up. Question for you. Are you trying to do this without a service manual?

Guy

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »
I have a service manual and have been reading about the rings, but the rings I have do not have anything stamped on them or they do and it has washed away or the years or something. I will try to take a better look tonight but I could barely make an N on one them if im not mistaken but that was it. will let you know

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 01:13:45 AM »
So I got another set of rings...that were sold as 2f1 but are actually 371 one rings and again are too thick and wont work. Really a huge bummer. Now to find 2f1 rings..

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
Ok I think I actually got the rings this time!

*I have a thicker gasket and a thinner one for the engine. Im assuming the thinner one goes between the engine cases and cylinder, then the thicker one between the cylinder and the valves?*