Author Topic: starter clutch more of the same tx trouble  (Read 291 times)

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
starter clutch more of the same tx trouble
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:40:13 PM »
Hi all I have read many write ups on rattley starter clutches but I would just like confirmation that it is ok to use a clutch on my 74 tx from what I believe was an xs500c that I have.The part numbers are different the tx part is 371 10 305 and the xs part is 371 10 409 I saw in an old post that they are all interchangeable throughout the range but with different numbers I thought Id best check before fitting the later clutch on the earlier motor. Also the tx manual says to use molybdenum disulfide on the inner connecting surfaces of the splines will moly grease be the right thtng to use? if the clutches are not interchangeable are the repair kits all the same as I can only find them listed for the xs500 1976 on . I have replaced the starter chain which was slack but when I removed the clutch rotor a dowel fell out so that was the rattle explained.cheers .

Offline nk140

• Indiana
Re: starter clutch more of the same tx trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:03:07 PM »
Please message back when/after you do the replacement.  I have to do the replacement this winter.  My bike is kickstart only right now and want the convenience of just pressing the starter button.

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »
Yes I will post nk140 when it is done I am of the opinion that the two starter clutches are interchangeable as they measure and weigh the same . This swap seems easier than undoing the three screws that hold the front plate that retains the dowels springs and their caps.This was a solution suggested by crouchy from a 2013 posting (certain topics obviously keep recurring).As for the moly grease I will check this further as the Cycleserve manual says to use this but the Haynes manual does not mention it.

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »
hi again just to let you know how I am getting on with this rattly starter clutch, well the used replacement was actually as worn as my original part . So I have ordered a repair kit consisting of the pawls (which I called a dowel previously) caps and springs for the insides of the rotor.I have undone the three allen bolts which hold the back plate on to uncover the pawls . This shows another potential problem which is that the pawls rest on a brass plate that could have worn thus creating the loose fitting and rattly pawls . Anyhow I am going to fit new pawls springs and caps when they arrive as hopefully there could have been some ware on them which would be fixed by replacing them with new ones. If the ware is down to just the brass inner plate I shall have to look for a replacement for that or use kick start only as some people are doing, bye for now.

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »
Hi just to update that last post the plates that sandwich the pawls are steel but show stepped ware where the pawls have been moving as they are supposed to but creating free play and the rattle. The brass section is the middle piece separating the pawls in between the steel plates.

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:04:43 PM »
Here is a picture of the open starter clutch showing the shinny stepped ware marks made by the pawls moving on their springs .

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »
Well the repair kit arrived which contained the new pawls springs and caps which I fitted to the xs500c stareter clutch and it works now with no more rattle. The reason why I was not keen to remove the three Allen bolts which open the back of the clutch was because they were centre punched and I had read of them coming loose . However I centre punched them myself after the repair and am satisfied they will be secure. As for the molybdenum disulphide it is added to the brass bushing on the shaft to legnthen the lifespan of the bushings. I did not use moly grease as this cis for CV joints so I got some dry state molybdenum disulphide and just dabbed a bit on the brass bushing with a small paint brush. So the repair kit worked for me , I hope this will be of interest to people in the same situation I was with the bag of bolts sound to their staters .

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
Just wanted to add two photos one of the bushing surface I put the molybdenum disulphide on and another of the three legged gear puller Iused to take the rotor off. If you use the gear puller method be sure to back off the centre nut to leave room for the rotor to loosen from the woodruf key.

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 09:45:38 AM »
Hi again just some final thoughts first I wrote stater instead of starter in my last post .Also the gear puller rotor removal method is not ideal and in fact it is written elsewhere on this site that an M16 x 1.5 threaded bolt wound into the centre of the rotor will fetch it off much more cleanly . The springs in the repair kit (from Yambits) were made from thicker metal than the Yamaha originals which I think made most difference. Lastly it appears that some people do use moly grease on the assembly here as in Garns TX750 updated tutor fix that he applied to the xs500 the fitting instructions say to use moly grease. Oh well the options are many but this worked for me bye .

Offline nk140

• Indiana
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 03:28:57 PM »
where did you get the repair kit?

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
Hi nk140 I got the repair kit from yambits.co.uk though mysteriously this particular one item REL004 is no longer showing on the site. However item REL003 looks identical and fits the xs400 and many others. If you just do an eBay search for xs500 or tx500 starter clutch repair kit there is one there for the xs500b so that should fit a tx500 .