Author Topic: starter clutch more of the same tx trouble  (Read 71 times)

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
starter clutch more of the same tx trouble
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:40:13 PM »
Hi all I have read many write ups on rattley starter clutches but I would just like confirmation that it is ok to use a clutch on my 74 tx from what I believe was an xs500c that I have.The part numbers are different the tx part is 371 10 305 and the xs part is 371 10 409 I saw in an old post that they are all interchangeable throughout the range but with different numbers I thought Id best check before fitting the later clutch on the earlier motor. Also the tx manual says to use molybdenum disulfide on the inner connecting surfaces of the splines will moly grease be the right thtng to use? if the clutches are not interchangeable are the repair kits all the same as I can only find them listed for the xs500 1976 on . I have replaced the starter chain which was slack but when I removed the clutch rotor a dowel fell out so that was the rattle explained.cheers .

Offline nk140

• Indiana
Re: starter clutch more of the same tx trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:03:07 PM »
Please message back when/after you do the replacement.  I have to do the replacement this winter.  My bike is kickstart only right now and want the convenience of just pressing the starter button.

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
Re: starter clutch more of the same tx trouble
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »
Yes I will post nk140 when it is done I am of the opinion that the two starter clutches are interchangeable as they measure and weigh the same . This swap seems easier than undoing the three screws that hold the front plate that retains the dowels springs and their caps.This was a solution suggested by crouchy from a 2013 posting (certain topics obviously keep recurring).As for the moly grease I will check this further as the Cycleserve manual says to use this but the Haynes manual does not mention it.