Author Topic: starter clutch more of the same tx trouble  (Read 1739 times)

Offline nk140

• Indiana
Re: starter clutch more of the same tx trouble
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »
Hi there the repair kits compose just the springs , pawls and caps and are a fraction of the cost of an entire assembly. You just need to separate the clutch to fit them though I am sure you have considered this.

I bought the parts for $40 USD from the UK.  The entire assembly was too much at $200.

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
The repair kit method worked for me so I think this is the best move keep us posted on how you progress. Also be aware that the pawls will move out of even a new or repaired assembly when it is taken off the shaft and say you were to shake the clutch assembly but are kept in place securely by that central shaft when assembled.The newer springs etc in the kit cure the rattle . My repaired starter clutch is working well so I am sure yours will too .

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2019, 07:00:49 PM »
hi again just thought I would post a picture of the correct tool (flywheel puller) for the removal of the rotor as the gear puller method is not ideal . The taper on the end is essential to lift the rotor from the recess on the shaft.

Offline nk140

• Indiana
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 02:27:14 PM »
I got a motion pro flywheel puller on saturday and it looks similar to that picture you posted.  Flywheel came right off

Offline CallaghanWilliams

• Winston-Salem NC
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »
I think I'm going to get into this project soon, I can't find the TX500 or the XS 500 repair kits for the starter clutch assembly on YamBits. They do still sell a kit for the XS400, will those parts work in the TX500 starter clutch assembly? Or perhaps does anyone have parts they'd be willing to sell me?

Also just to confirm, the flywheel puller is a 16mm?

Thanks.
JW

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 02:22:02 AM »
Yamaha never offered a rebuild kit other than the whole starter clutch assembly which is no longer sold. The rollers and spring caps are still available from Yamaha dealers and I just checked and found several springs up on eBay. Thatís usually enough to revive a slipping starter.

I can't remember the size of the rotor puller bolt but the retaining bolt is only a 10mm so the puller could be a 14mm.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 09:01:18 AM »
Hi there Callaghan the removal bolt (flywheel puller) is 16mm 1.5 thread bolt though it will require a taper on the end to fit in the in the central shaft end. Funnily enough I did buy the springs that Guy mentions and have them still unused . The part number on them is 341-15584-03-00 .

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »
As for the yambits starter clutch repair kit yes the one that I got has disappeared from the site . The xs400 kit looks the same though I cannot say if it will be compatible as I have not tried it. The springs only replacement seems the best option for you considering the repair kits are getting rare. As I mentioned I did get these springs as an after thought as I chanced across some after doing the repair .

• Winston-Salem NC
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 07:09:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas, I looked up the schematics for that starter clutch assembly and order the appropriate parts from a couple sources for a rebuild on that assembly. I will order a fly wheel puller soon.

• Winston-Salem NC
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 07:14:54 PM »
The Part Numbers for anyone interested in what I ordered are as follows.
From the Yamaha Schematics

Starter Motor Assembly
Ref 10. Pin Dowel 93615-12088-00 QTY 3

Ref 11. Cap. 1J7-15583-01-00 QTY 3

Ref 12. Spring 341-1558 or 90501-03298-00 QTY 3

Found the Springs and Caps from a relatively local dealer here in NC called CarolinaCycle in Waynesville NC.
www.carolinacycle.com

And Found the Springs (part #90501-03298-00) from www.MotoSport.com

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 08:14:35 PM »
Good work on the part numbers , and keep us posted on how you progress Callaghan .

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 06:31:05 PM »
You guys do know that you can go to the Yamaha website or many dealer sites that have the catalogs online. Learn to use them and you will be able to see what parts are still available at dealers and fit other models and which ones you'll need to search for in the wild.

The Yamaha site is a bit clunky (even though I worked on the content for it) but fairly clean and easy to use. I like Babbit's and others like Yamahapartsnation that use the same engine because they allow you to find what other models a part will fit and that helps you search online for it by listing those bikes.
Babbitsonline.com 
Yamahapartsnation.com
Shopyamaha/parts.com

Guy

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 07:40:56 PM »
Cheers Guy I usually look at dealer sites in the uk and find most things discontinued . I will check out your suggestions.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »
Very true that the most desirable parts like fuel tanks, mufflers and instruments are no longer available after 40+ years but a lot of necessary hardware, seals, bearings, gaskets, jets, clutch plates etc. are still around. The 70s models did get a bit of a gift however when Yamaha resurrected the SR400 to sell around the world. Those bikes use a lot of updated vintage parts, now back in stock, that will work on our bikes. Look at pieces like the levers and perches, switch assemblies, headlight parts and even the front fender can be adapted to the XS500.

Guy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:29:19 PM by guylr »