Author Topic: Main nozzle BS38 carbs  (Read 306 times)

Offline Joffa1

• Melbourne, VIC. Australia
Re: Main nozzle BS38 carbs
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 05:33:40 AM »
Some days I wish Iíd just bought an XS650 and put a square XS500 tank on it 😂. No it is nice having something less common and Iím sure it will ride nicely once I sort it all out.... one day!

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
I had an XS650E that I restored and loved but my XS500C is a much better bike to ride. The 650 is raw and rough and handles OK while the 500 is smooth and handles great. I recommend that every Yamaha lover should have a 650 at least once because it's a great way to know how much Yamaha got right on their first 4-stroke. The engine is reliable and looks like a motorcycle should. That's  why they were such a good seller. The 500 on the other hand is the perfect example of how Yamaha was willing to try new directions and push the boundaries. Some things worked and some didn't but they learned a lot and kept going until they were building amazing bikes just a decade after the first 650.

I remember my first rides on the 1976 models because I was working at a Yamaha dealership and had to set them up before they went on the sales floor. The XS650C was much improved that year and I think the first year that they really got it right. The suspension was more supple and the crank was rebalanced to make the engine smoother and it still had the good iron caliper front brake. The XS500C was the new 2nd Gen 500 that got better carbs, the Áompliant suspension and comfortable seat that gave it a nice ride compared to the TX500. It felt night and day different and much more modern.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline Joffa1

• Melbourne, VIC. Australia
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 08:17:37 AM »
Good insight there Guy and a nice little history lesson. I have no doubt I will end up being happy with my 500, just takes a lot more patience and research to get the right parts!

Youíve been a great help so far. There will be more questions coming soon Iím sure...