Author Topic: XS650 Forks + Retaining original spoked wheel  (Read 59 times)

Offline milktruck

XS650 Forks + Retaining original spoked wheel
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:43:27 PM »
Hey folks!  Been awhile since Iíve posted. 

Iím upgrading the front forks on my Ď75 500b to XS650 units to include the upper and lower 650 triple. I want to retain my original spoked wheel and see that there is a 10mm greater spacing. 

A few questions about how to handle:

1. Can I use my stock axle or do I need to use xs650 axle? (I am assuming I need the XS650 axle)

2. Do I need to shim the wheel on the axle to account for the 10mm difference? (5mm each side) If so - how to handle the speedo gear?  Iím gonna delete the mechanical speedo if that helps with an answer.

3. I see in prior posts that shimming is required at the calipers - 5mm on each side.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: XS650 Forks + Retaining original spoked wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:05:42 AM »
1. The XS650 axle would be the best to use but the 500 axle which is the same as an RD350 might just be long enough if you use a thinner nut and you don't mind the other side being flush with the axle clamp.
2. Yes, unless you go to a 650 or TX750 front hub you will need to shim 5mm on each side and 3. shim the calipers also.

Personally, I'd  find a cheap 650 hub and lace it up to avoid having to do the shimming. You can also just gut the speedo drive unit and leave it as a spacer that way with no swimming required.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline milktruck

Re: XS650 Forks + Retaining original spoked wheel
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:27:11 PM »
Thank you. That is the confirmation I was looking for.